FLP: Derivation of reflection coefficient

In summary, in Vol. I Ch.33 of Feynman's Lectures, the reflection coefficient as a function of angle was derived and it was stated that the component of A perpendicular to B (Acos (i+r)) has the right polarization to produce B. However, some confusion arose about the physics behind this and why the component of A normal to the dashed line (Acos(i-r)) produces the field of magnitude -1. It was clarified that this is because the electric field vector is always perpendicular to the direction of the ray, and the component of A parallel to B cannot contribute to light in the B direction.
duffing
In Vol. I Ch.33 of Feynman's Lectures (http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_33.html), 33-6, the reflection coefficient as a function of angle was derived.

I am confused about the part where it said the component of A perpendicular to B (Acos (i+r)) has the right polarisation to produce B. Geometrically I obtained Asin(i+r) instead but I am unsure about why the physics is so.

Similarly, it was also mentioned that the component of A normal to the dashed line (Acos(i-r)) is effective in producing the field of magnitude -1. I am confused as to why this component produces the field of magnitude -1.

Thanks.

duffing said:
I am confused about the part where it said the component of A perpendicular to B (Acos (i+r)) has the right polarisation to produce B. Geometrically I obtained Asin(i+r) instead but I am unsure about why the physics is so.

If you're asking about the physics rather than the specific formula, the electric field vector is always perpendicular to the direction of the ray. The component of A parallel to B cannot contribute to light in the B direction.

1. What is the reflection coefficient?

The reflection coefficient is a measure of the amount of energy that is reflected back from a surface or boundary when a wave encounters it. It is represented as a decimal or percentage between 0 and 1, with 0 indicating no reflection and 1 indicating total reflection.

2. How is the reflection coefficient derived?

The reflection coefficient is derived using the Fresnel equations, which take into account the incident angle of the wave, the properties of the materials on either side of the boundary, and the polarization of the wave. These equations are based on the principles of electromagnetism and boundary conditions.

3. What factors affect the reflection coefficient?

The reflection coefficient is affected by the angle of incidence, the properties of the materials on either side of the boundary (such as refractive index and impedance), and the wavelength of the wave. It is also dependent on the polarization of the wave, with different values for perpendicular and parallel polarizations.

4. Why is the reflection coefficient important in optics and acoustics?

The reflection coefficient is important in optics and acoustics because it allows us to predict and understand how waves will behave when they encounter boundaries or interfaces between different materials. It is used in the design and analysis of optical and acoustic systems, such as lenses, mirrors, and acoustic barriers.

5. Can the reflection coefficient be negative?

Yes, the reflection coefficient can be negative in certain situations, such as when the incident wave is a transverse electromagnetic wave and the magnetic permeability of the material is negative. This is known as negative refraction and has been observed in certain materials such as metamaterials.