Fluid Flow and Projectile Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of water traveling through a pipe with a nozzle at the end and how far it will travel in the air before hitting the ground. The solution involves using the equation A1V1=A2V2 to find the velocity at the nozzle, and then using basic projectile motion to find the displacement and time. The final answer is a horizontal displacement of 20.4 meters in 0.64 seconds.
dropgigawatt

Homework Statement

Water travels through a pipe with a radius of 1 inch at a speed of 2 m/s. There is a nozzle at the end of the pipe with a radius of 1/4 inch. The pipe is horizontal and 2m above the ground. How far does the water travel in the air before hitting the ground?

r1 = 1 in.
r2 = 1/4 in.
V1 = 2 m/s
y = 2 m

Homework Equations

A1V1=A2V2
A = ∏r2
Δx = Vxt

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that A1 = 3.14 in.2 and A2 = .20 in.2
I plugged those in and found V2 = 31.4 m/s2.

Now I think I have to find t so I can work with Δx = Vxt but I'm not sure how to go about that or if that's even the direction I should be taking.

EDIT: I tried using kinematics, re-arranging V2 = V0^2 + 2aΔx. I plugged my values into -V0^2 / 2a = Δx and got -31.42 / 2(9.81) = 50.3 m
Would that be correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dropgigawatt said:
I found that A1 = 3.14 in.2 and A2 = .20 in.2

You did not have to. All you need is the ratio ## \frac {A_1} {A_2} = \frac { \pi r_1^2 } {\pi r_2^2 } = \left( \frac {r_1} {r_2} \right)^2 = 16 ##, so the velocity at the nozzle is 32 m/s exactly.

I plugged those in and found V2 = 31.4 m/s2.

The result is inaccurate, and the dimension is wrong.

Now I think I have to find t so I can work with Δx = Vxt but I'm not sure how to go about that or if that's even the direction I should be taking.

The rest of the problem is simple projectile motion. You know the initial velocity and the initial height. Find where it strikes the ground.

The water is traveling both horizontally and vertically. They want you to find how far it travels horizontally when it hits the ground. How long does it take for an object dropped from a height of 2 m to reach the ground? How far does an object travel horizontally in that amount of time if its horizontal speed is 32 m/s?

I got it.
t = .64 s
displacement = 32(.64) = 20.4 m

Thanks guys!

Your approach using the equation V2 = V0^2 + 2aΔx is correct. However, you need to use the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s^2. Also, your units for V2 should be m/s, not m/s^2. Therefore, the correct calculation would be: V2 = √(V1^2 + 2gΔx) = √(2^2 + 2(9.8)(2)) = 6.26 m/s.

To find the time, you can use the equation Δx = V0t + 1/2at^2, where V0 is the initial velocity (in this case, 6.26 m/s) and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Solving for t, you will get t = 0.63 seconds.

Finally, to find the distance traveled in the air, you can use the equation Δx = Vxt, where Vx is the horizontal velocity, which is equal to V2 (since there is no acceleration in the horizontal direction). Therefore, Δx = (6.26 m/s)(0.63 s) = 3.94 meters.

Therefore, the water will travel approximately 3.94 meters in the air before hitting the ground.

1. What is fluid flow and how does it affect objects?

Fluid flow is the movement of a fluid (liquid or gas) through a space or medium. It affects objects by exerting forces on them, which can cause objects to move or change shape.

2. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is smooth and orderly, with the fluid particles moving in parallel layers. Turbulent flow is chaotic and unpredictable, with the fluid particles mixing and swirling in all directions.

3. How does Bernoulli's principle explain fluid flow?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This explains fluid flow by showing how the differences in pressure between different areas of fluid cause it to flow from high pressure to low pressure.

4. How is projectile motion affected by fluid resistance?

Fluid resistance, also known as drag, can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object's velocity and changing its trajectory. This is especially true for objects with large surface areas, such as parachutes, which experience more drag than smaller objects.

5. What are some real-world applications of fluid flow and projectile motion?

Some real-world applications of fluid flow and projectile motion include understanding the aerodynamics of airplanes, designing efficient water systems, predicting the flight path of a baseball, and studying the flow of blood through the human body.