Fluid Flow/Heat Transfer question struggle

In summary: The enthalpy of liquid water at 80 C and 10 C is the same. You can use the enthalpy of water at 80 C and 10 C in the heat duty equation.
williamcarter

Homework Statement

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out with this exercise in fluid flow/heat transfer ,because I really struggling with it.Below I am attaching photo of problem+table with values. Thank you in advance !

Homework Equations

Question link:[/B]
http://i.stack.imgur.com/xSsYu.jpg
Table link:
http://i.stack.imgur.com/aiO1J.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Struggling with it.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the density of water? Are you familiar with the continuity equation?
Q =vA
What do you know about Reynolds number?

Hello, thank you for your quick reply.
I know Reynolds number has 2 formulas
#1 Re=Diameter*velocity*density/viscosity=D*u*ro/Mew
#2Re=4*mass flowrate/Pi*Diameter*Viscosity=4*m/pi*D*Mew

Reynolds number is dimensionless and can show us 3 types of flow:Laminar(Re<2100),Turbulent(2100<Re<10000) and Ideal(frictionless)

Continuity eq:mass flowrate m=Density1*Velocity1*Area1=Density2*Velocity2*Area2
=>m=ro1*u1*A1=ro2*u2*A2
For incompressible flow such as liquids and gasses at low Press, the density is the same, hence q which is vol flowrate has the formula
q=u1A1=u2A2

Density is 1/specific volume, we have all the values in the above steam table , but specific volume is in mg/m^3 hence density will be 10^3/specific volume.
First column in each field of the table is for liquid and 2nd for vapour.

Sounds like you have some understanding. Where exactly are you stuck? Can you find the density of water at point 1 and 2?
Can you apply the continuity equation to find the velocities?

Thank you again for your reply , really appreciated.
we know mass flowrate m=720kg/h.However we need to convert it to kg/s
The mass flowrate is constant m in =m out , no accumulation term,is at steady flow.
Thus 720kg/h=720kg/3600s=0.2kg/s.
A1=100cm^2=0.01m^2
A2=25cm^2=0.0025m^2

At point 1 at T=10 deg Celsius we have :
Density1=10^3/1.000 =1000kg/m^3
A1=0.01m^2
Viscosity Mew1=1304*10^(-6)
From continuity u1=mass flowrate/density1*Area1=0.2/10^3*0.01
=>u1=0.02m/s
Re=D*u*ro/mew
We have A1 ,we need D1;
Diameter1=sqrt(4*0.01/pi)
Hence D1=0.1128 m
so Re=D*u*ro/mew
Re1=0.1128*0.02*10^3/1304*10^(-6)=1730.06

So at point 1 we calculated:
u1=0.02m/s and Re1=1730.06

Same for point 2 at outlet where T2=80 degrees Celsius

That looks correct, good work.
And what about the duty? Are you familiar with this equation?
Q =m_dot * Cp * deltaT

Likes williamcarter
Thank you for your reply, I am glad I answered correctly.

As for c)with Heat Duty required we are supposed to use the equation Q=mass flowrate*specific heat*delta T
in our case heat duty transfer rate Q=m*c*(Tout-Tin)

We will take the cp as the cp of (10+80) degrees /2 so we will look in table for cp of 45 degrees celsius
As the value for cp is not there , and it is for values such as 44 and 46 degrees celsius we will have to linear interpolate.

Hence cp at 45 deg Celsius=4179.5(I could have estimated it as 4180, but I wanted to be more precise)
Furthermore it is not required to transform Celsius to Kelvin because the difference(delta T) would be the same , so I would leave it in Celsius.

so we have everything as it follows:
m=0.2 kg/s
cp=4179.5 J/Kg*K
Tout=T2=80 degrees Celsius
Tin=T1=10 degrees Celsius

We know Q=m*c*(Tout-Tin)
hence Q=0.2*4179.5*(80-10)
Q=58513 J (Which is the heat duty required to raise water from 10 degrees Celsius to 80 degrees Celsius)

That's right, except the 'per second' from the mass flow rate went missing. the answer should be joules per second (aka Watts).
Any questions about the next questions?

Likes williamcarter
Thank you for your answer, that is correct it is in Watts(J/s), I do not know why I forgot about seconds,I did this probably because I was thinking of Heat which is in Joule and not Power which is Watt, and I forgot about seconds from the mass flowrate.
As for d) I cannot completely understand what I am supposed to do
Thank you in advance.

williamcarter said:
Thank you for your reply, I am glad I answered correctly.

As for c)with Heat Duty required we are supposed to use the equation Q=mass flowrate*specific heat*delta T
in our case heat duty transfer rate Q=m*c*(Tout-Tin)

We will take the cp as the cp of (10+80) degrees /2 so we will look in table for cp of 45 degrees celsius
As the value for cp is not there , and it is for values such as 44 and 46 degrees celsius we will have to linear interpolate.

Hence cp at 45 deg Celsius=4179.5(I could have estimated it as 4180, but I wanted to be more precise)
Furthermore it is not required to transform Celsius to Kelvin because the difference(delta T) would be the same , so I would leave it in Celsius.

so we have everything as it follows:
m=0.2 kg/s
cp=4179.5 J/Kg*K
Tout=T2=80 degrees Celsius
Tin=T1=10 degrees Celsius

We know Q=m*c*(Tout-Tin)
hence Q=0.2*4179.5*(80-10)
Q=58513 J (Which is the heat duty required to raise water from 10 degrees Celsius to 80 degrees Celsius)
Your steam tables give values for the enthalpy of liquid water at 80 C and 10 C. Why didn't you just use this?

Likes williamcarter
Hello, and thank you for your answer.
I did the arithmetic mean between the 2 temperatures in order to get the mean cp (in my case at 45 degrees celsius) and use it in Q=m*c*delta T to get the duty as a power in Watts.The reason I did that was because I wanted to be consistent with the formula I was given in the course, however your path seems easier, cheers for that.

I could also ,as you said use the enthalpies and calculate the Q as following:
Q=m_dot*[(enthalpy h at 80 degrees Celsius of water)-(enthalpy h at 10 degrees Celsius of water)]

This will be:Q=0.2kg/s*(335.0*10^3 J/Kg -42.03*10^3 J/Kg)
=>Q=58594 Watt

For part (d), what is the change in enthalpy per kg in going from saturated steam at 130C to saturated liquid water at 130C?

Likes williamcarter
Thank you for your reply!
For part d)
I would say Qdot on water side= Qdot on steam side.
Q on water side was calculated at c) and it is 58594 Watt
Q on steam side is : Q=m*lat heat ;but Qwater=Qsteam=58594(J/s)=58594 Watt
and mdot=Qdot/latent heat
From tables latent heat of steam at 130 degrees is 2174 kJ / Kg
=>mdot=58594 Watt /2174*10^3 J/Kg
mdot=0.0269 kg/s

1. What is fluid flow and heat transfer?

Fluid flow and heat transfer are two closely related phenomena that are commonly encountered in various fields of science and engineering. Fluid flow refers to the motion of a fluid, such as a liquid or gas, while heat transfer involves the transfer of thermal energy from one location to another.

2. What is the difference between convection, conduction, and radiation?

Convection, conduction, and radiation are three mechanisms of heat transfer. Convection involves the transfer of heat through the movement of a fluid, conduction involves the transfer of heat through physical contact between objects, and radiation involves the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. How is fluid flow and heat transfer related to each other?

Fluid flow and heat transfer are closely related because the movement of fluids can significantly affect the transfer of heat. For example, in convection, the flow of a fluid can enhance or hinder the transfer of heat, depending on factors such as the fluid's velocity and direction.

4. What factors affect fluid flow and heat transfer?

There are several factors that can affect fluid flow and heat transfer, such as the properties of the fluid (e.g. viscosity, density), the geometry of the system, the temperature gradient, and the presence of obstacles or boundaries.

5. How can we model and analyze fluid flow and heat transfer?

There are various mathematical models and numerical methods that can be used to analyze and predict fluid flow and heat transfer in different systems. These models and methods involve complex equations and simulations that take into account the various factors and properties affecting fluid flow and heat transfer.