Heat Exchanger: +40C rise at 16 liters/minute flow rate

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the rate of heat transfer between hot external water and cold internal water in a pipe. The person is seeking advice on how to proceed with calculating the internal heat transfer coefficient, specifically using the Nusselt number equation. They are unsure if this is the correct approach and have been researching different sources for information on the Nusselt number and its calculation.
Edwardminett
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Summary:: How to calculate the rate of heat transfer between hot external water and cold internal water in a pipe.

The image attached is my attempt at the question however, I find myself stuck trying to work out internal and external heat transfer coefficient.
1627395864174.png

Attachments

• 1627395717120.png
    1627395717120.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 1627395764149.png
    1627395764149.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 120
Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts on how to proceed so far, say, first for the case of the internal heat transfer coefficient?

Likes Edwardminett
Chestermiller said:
What are your thoughts on how to proceed so far, say, first for the case of the internal heat transfer coefficient?
I'm not to sure, most places I searched said use the Nusselt number equation but I'm not sure if this is correct or how to calculate this?

Edwardminett said:
I'm not to sure, most places I searched said use the Nusselt number equation but I'm not sure if this is correct or how to calculate this?
Tell me your understanding of how the Nusselt number is estimated. Where have you researched so far?

1. What is a heat exchanger?

A heat exchanger is a device that transfers heat from one fluid to another without the fluids coming into direct contact with each other.

2. How does a heat exchanger work?

A heat exchanger works by using a series of tubes or plates to allow the hot fluid to transfer its heat to the cooler fluid without mixing them together. The two fluids flow in opposite directions, maximizing the heat transfer.

3. What does a +40C rise mean in a heat exchanger?

A +40C rise means that the temperature of the fluid leaving the heat exchanger will be 40 degrees Celsius higher than the temperature of the fluid entering the heat exchanger.

4. What is the significance of a 16 liters/minute flow rate in a heat exchanger?

The flow rate of 16 liters/minute is the rate at which the fluids are flowing through the heat exchanger. This flow rate affects the efficiency of the heat transfer and can be adjusted to meet specific needs.

5. Can a heat exchanger be used for different types of fluids?

Yes, a heat exchanger can be used for a variety of fluids, including liquids and gases. However, the design and materials used may need to be altered depending on the specific properties of the fluids being used.