1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Force Problem- Caclulus II

1. Oct 10, 2007 #1
    A porthole on a vertical side of a submarine submerged in sea water has a diameter of 2r feet. Sea water has a weight density of 64 pounds per cubic foot. Find the fluid force on the porthole, assuming that the center of the porthole is d feet below the surface.

Relevant Equations:
    fluid pressure= weight * height aka p=wh
    fluid force= p*A, A being the area the force is exerted on.

Attempt at Solution:

I know its going to be the integral of p*A bound from zero to some number. I thought that p might equal 64y (the weight times the height), but that seems too simple and I think "d" has to be incorporated into that part of the integral somehow. For A, I used the equation of the circle, x^2 + y^2 = r^2, A=y= square root (r^2-x^2). That's where I stopped, because none of that seems right, I feel like I need to have everything in terms of one or two variables in order to integrate and actually find the fluid force. P

Please help, I am so stuck and frustrated, I drew a diagram but it's not helping much! I desperately need to figure out the correct answer to this problem!!!
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"A porthole on a vertical side". The porthole is vertical and different horizontal lines drawn across the porthole have different depths. Your diagram should be a circle with at least one horizontal line across it representing a section of the porthole at a constant depth. Since the center of the porthole is at d feet, and has radius r feet, the depth of each part of the porthole ranges from d-r feet (top) to d+r feet (bottom). Those should be the limits of integration. The equation of a circle of radius r with center at (0, d) is, of course, [itex]x^2+ (y-d)^2= r^2[/itex] or [itex]x= \sqrt{r^2- (y-d)^2}[/itex]. A horizontal strip at depth y, thickness dy, will have area [itex]\sqrt{r^2- (y-d)^2}dy[/itex]. The pressure at depth y is 64y so the total force on that strip is [itex]64y\sqrt{r^2- (y-d)^2}dy[/itex]. That's what you need to integrate.
  4. Oct 11, 2007 #3
    thank you VERY much, but how does one go about integrating that? help, i'm very stuck, i tried using u-substitution for the square root, but i feel that somehow there should be an easy way to integrate the square root function, because its a circle...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?