1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics and SHM of spring

1. Mar 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Fluid Mechanics problem: http://i.imgur.com/dlAO6.jpg

SHM of spring problem: http://i.imgur.com/7AOMR.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Fluid mechanic problem;
    Bernoulli's principle A1v1=A2v2
    v= velocity
    A= cross sectional area
    R= flow rate

SHM of spring problem;
    x(t)=Acos(ωt+∅)

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the Fluid problem I ended up with :
    v = R/A2 = 2R/A1

For the SHM problem I ended up with:
    A = 0.10
    ∅= cos-10.05/0.1

I'm having a problem with both of these problems and I'm not confident with my answers.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
    (And sorry if I break any rule of the forums or such, It's only my first post :/ )

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2012 #2
    You are going to have to provide a better problem statements than what you supplied. We are not mind readers here.

4. Mar 18, 2012 #3
    I'm sorry :/ These problems are actually made by my professor himself, but I'll try to explain.

In the first problem, water is flowing from the tank into a narrowing pipe, I'm supposed to get the velocity of the water when its in the narrow part of the pipe. It's related to Bernoulli's principle of fluid through a narrowing pipe.

For the second problem, It's a block of 0.5 kg displaced 5cm from its original position with an initial velocity of 10 m/s. I'm supposed to get A (or Xm) which is Amplitude and ∅ which is the phase constant.

5. Mar 18, 2012 #4
    In the fluids problem, I think the teacher is looking for an expression for the velocity in terms of the height of the tank.

A1V1=A2V2 is just a form of the continuity equation which is a statement of conservation of mass for constant density. Bernoulli's principle is something else.

6. Mar 18, 2012 #5
    With the SHM problem, how did you do it without knowing the spring constant value?

7. Mar 18, 2012 #6
    ^This. I was wondering how you could solve without the spring constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook