Fluid Mechanics and SHM of spring

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
nago
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Fluid Mechanics problem: http://i.imgur.com/dlAO6.jpg

SHM of spring problem: http://i.imgur.com/7AOMR.jpg

Homework Equations


Fluid mechanic problem;
Bernoulli's principle A1v1=A2v2
v= velocity
A= cross sectional area
R= flow rate

SHM of spring problem;
x(t)=Acos(ωt+∅)

The Attempt at a Solution


For the Fluid problem I ended up with :
v = R/A2 = 2R/A1

For the SHM problem I ended up with:
A = 0.10
∅= cos-10.05/0.1I'm having a problem with both of these problems and I'm not confident with my answers.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
(And sorry if I break any rule of the forums or such, It's only my first post :/ )
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are going to have to provide a better problem statements than what you supplied. We are not mind readers here.
 
LawrenceC said:
You are going to have to provide a better problem statements than what you supplied. We are not mind readers here.

I'm sorry :/ These problems are actually made by my professor himself, but I'll try to explain.

In the first problem, water is flowing from the tank into a narrowing pipe, I'm supposed to get the velocity of the water when its in the narrow part of the pipe. It's related to Bernoulli's principle of fluid through a narrowing pipe.

For the second problem, It's a block of 0.5 kg displaced 5cm from its original position with an initial velocity of 10 m/s. I'm supposed to get A (or Xm) which is Amplitude and ∅ which is the phase constant.
 
In the fluids problem, I think the teacher is looking for an expression for the velocity in terms of the height of the tank.

A1V1=A2V2 is just a form of the continuity equation which is a statement of conservation of mass for constant density. Bernoulli's principle is something else.
 
With the SHM problem, how did you do it without knowing the spring constant value?
 
LawrenceC said:
With the SHM problem, how did you do it without knowing the spring constant value?

^This. I was wondering how you could solve without the spring constant.