Spring Energy System: Finding Total Energy with User-Selected Position (x,y)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a picture of a mechanism with two springs, both with known spring constants and rest lengths. One end of the top spring is fixed and the other end is attached to a wheel that can rotate but not move. The other spring is also attached to the wheel and its other end is at a user-selected distance (x,y). The goal is to find the total energy given a specific (x,y) location. The equations for spring energy and energy are derived and the attempt at a solution involves finding the length of the springs in terms of (x,y) and using the law of cosines. However, there is some confusion about the angle theta and its relationship
member 428835

Homework Statement

The picture is too tough to draw online, so I've attached a picture of it. The illustrated mechanism shows two springs both with a known spring constant ##k## and rest length of ##2R##. One end of the top spring is fixed above a wheel and the other end is attached to the wheel that may rotate but not move. The other spring also has one end attached to the wheel, while the other end of this spring is at some user-selected distance ##(x,y)##.

I am trying to find the total energy given some location ##(x,y)##.

Homework Equations

Spring energy ##k(L-2R)^2/2## where ##L## is the length of the spring.

The Attempt at a Solution

Energy ##E## is $$E = k(L_1-2R)^2/2+k(L_2-2R)^2/2$$ So all I need to do to express energy as a function of ##x,y## is write ##L_1## and ##L_2## in terms of ##x,y##. To find ##L_1## let's use law of cosines:
$$L_1^2=(3R)^3+R^2-2\cdot3R\cdot R\cos\theta$$ I could find the length of ##L_2## the same way: instead of using ##\theta## I would use ##\pi-\theta##. One side of the triangle has ##L_2##, another has length ##R##, and the last has length ##\sqrt{x^2+y^2}##. But this is where I run into problems. Specifically, how to I express ##\theta## as a function of ##x,y##?

Mathematically, ##\theta## does not depend on ##x,y##. But physically it does, so there must be some physical law I'm not accounting for. Any ideas?

I should say, ##\theta## is the state variable and that ##x,y## are the independent parameters; does that imply it is independent on ##x,y## and I need not bother finding a relation?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 9.05.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 9.05.53 PM.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 371
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, ##x## and ##y## are parameters that are independent of the angle ##\theta## shown in your picture. Express ##L_2## in terms of ##x, y, R## and ##\theta##.

Your expressions for ##E## and ##L_1^2## look correct.

Thank you very much!

Actually, TSny are you sure I don't need to express ##\theta## as a function of ##x,y##? ##\theta## is definitely a function of ##x,y##; do you know how I could find out what this function is?

I ask because I'm then asked to find the surface of equilibrium solutions and then plot a few bifurcation diagrams.

Uh oh. Maybe I'm not interpreting the problem correctly. I thought that values of ##x## and ##y## are first selected and then you are asked to find the PE of the system as a function of the angle ##\theta##, where you could imagine reaching in and rotating the wheel to select any value of ##\theta## that you want (while keeping ##x## and ##y## fixed). In that case, ##\theta## is an independent variable and the potential energy is a function of ##\theta, x## and ##y##: ##U(\theta, x, y)##.

But, maybe you are meant to find the PE only for the equilibrium position of the wheel. In that case, the equilibrium value of ##\theta## can be expressed in terms of ##x## and ##y##. So, the equilibrium potential energy would be a function only of ##x## and ##y##: ##U_{eq}(x, y)##. (But to find the equilibrium value of ##\theta## for chosen ##x## and ##y##, you could use the PE function as defined in the previous paragraph, in principle anyway.)

So I could be misleading you. And I'm not sure how the surface of equilibrium solutions is defined. Finally, I know almost nothing about bifurcation. If I had known that this is where this problem was heading, I would probably not have replied. But I look forward to learning something by seeing what develops here.

Hopefully, others will chime in and set you on the right track.

There is :

a balance of forces at the point of joining of the two springs .

a relationship between spring extension and applied force .

Last edited:
Thanks for both you responses. I think TSny actually has the right idea. So moving down the path of choosing an ##x,y## and letting ##\theta## vary and seeing how potential energy reacts, I wrote the potential energy ##U## as
$$U=\frac{k}{2}(L_1-2R)^2+\frac{k}{2}(L_2-2R)^2\\
L_1=R\sqrt{10-6\cos\theta}\\
L_2=\sqrt{R^2+x^2+(y+R)^2+2R\sqrt{x^2+(y+R)^2}\cos\theta}$$ but when I input this into mathematica
Code:
k=1
R=1
U[x_, y_, t_] := k ((R^2 + x^2 + (y + R)^2 + 2 R (x^2 + (y + R)^2)^(1/2) Cos[t])^(1/2) - 2 R)^2/2 + k (R (10 - 6 Cos[t])^(1/2) - 2 R)^2/2
and look at values, say ##x,y=1,1## I get an energy equilibrium always at ##\theta=\pi##, which I know is only true when ##x=0##. I've uploaded a picture for your consideration. Any idea why this graph is coming out wrong (symmetric about ##\theta=\pi##)?

Attachments

• PTheta.pdf
    38.4 KB · Views: 133
The expression for L2 doesn't look correct. For example, if you let x = R , y = -R, and θ = π/2, what should you get for L2?

There will probably be positions of θ corresponding to stable equilibrium as well as unstable equilibrium for given x and y.

TSny said:
The expression for L2 doesn't look correct. For example, if you let x = R , y = -R, and θ = π/2, what should you get for L2?

There will probably be positions of θ corresponding to stable equilibrium as well as unstable equilibrium for given x and y.
Good catch! So I'm thinking to find ##L_2## we still use law of cosines:
$$L^2=R^2+x^2+(y+R)^2+R\sqrt{x^2+(y+R)^2}\cos(\gamma)$$ where ##\gamma## is the angle opposite of ##L_2##. Since I know everything but ##\gamma##, I'll find it by making its two adjacent sides vectors, and invoking the definition of the dot product. The first vector would be (length doesn't matter) ##\langle\sin\theta,-\cos\theta\rangle## and the second would be ##\langle x,y+R \rangle##. Now use the definition of the dot product:
$$\langle x,y+R \rangle\cdot\langle\sin\theta,-\cos\theta\rangle = \sqrt{x^2+(y+R)^2}\cos\gamma\implies\\
\cos\gamma = \frac{x\sin\theta-(y+R)\cos\theta}{\sqrt{x^2+(y+R)^2}}$$
This implies $$L^2=R^2+x^2+(y+R)^2+R\sqrt{x^2+(y+R)^2}\left[ \frac{x\sin\theta-(y+R)\cos\theta}{\sqrt{x^2+(y+R)^2}} \right]$$
Then I would substitute this into the potential energy equation. Do you agree?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that's right. (x, y) are the coordinates of one end of the spring. What are the coordinates of the other end of the spring (in terms of R and θ)?

Then use the usual formula for the distance between two points in terms of the coordinates of the points.

Sorry, I made a mistake in post 9! Specifically, I accidentally computed the dot product wrong, but I just now edited it to a correct form. It simplifies below:
$$L^2=R^2+x^2+(y+R)^2+R(x\sin\theta-(y+R)\cos\theta)$$
Do you now agree?

TSny said:
What are the coordinates of the other end of the spring (in terms of R and θ)?
This is much easier, huh? :headbang: Ok, so we have ##(x,y)## and ##(R\sin\theta,R(1-\cos\theta))##. Then $$L=\sqrt{(R(1-\cos\theta)-y)^2+(R\sin\theta-x)^2}$$
Do you agree?

joshmccraney said:
Ok, so we have ##(x,y)## and ##(R\sin\theta,R(1-\cos\theta))##. Then $$L=\sqrt{(R(1-\cos\theta)-y)^2+(R\sin\theta-x)^2}$$
Do you agree?
Yes, almost. I think you have a sign error in the y coordinate of ##(R\sin\theta,R(1-\cos\theta))##.

Shoot, dumb algebra mistakes. Ok, so we have ##(x,y)## and ##(R\sin\theta,R(-1-\cos\theta))##. Then $$L=\sqrt{(R(1+\cos\theta)+y)^2+(R\sin\theta-x)^2}$$
hahaha took waaaaaay too long, but thanks for all your help!

joshmccraney said:
Shoot, dumb algebra mistakes. Ok, so we have ##(x,y)## and ##(R\sin\theta,R(-1-\cos\theta))##. Then $$L=\sqrt{(R(1+\cos\theta)+y)^2+(R\sin\theta-x)^2}$$
hahaha took waaaaaay too long, but thanks for all your help!
That looks good.

Shouldn't the elastic strain energy pass through a minimum at the equilibrium value of ##\theta##?

Chestermiller said:
Shouldn't the elastic strain energy pass through a minimum at the equilibrium value of ##\theta##?
Yep, so ##dp/d\theta = 0## gives the optimum ##\theta## values to substitute back into ##P## for a surface of equilibria, right?

joshmccraney said:
Yep, so ##dp/d\theta = 0## gives the optimum ##\theta## values to substitute back into ##P## for a surface of equilibria, right?
I think so. Try solving the problem this way, and see if it matches the value of theta obtained from the balance of moments. It would certainly be easier to do the problem this way.

Likes Nidum
Chestermiller said:
I think so. Try solving the problem this way, and see if it matches the value of theta obtained from the balance of moments. It would certainly be easier to do the problem this way.
But ##dP/d\theta## gives an implicit solution for ##\theta(x,y)##. Then I'm unsure how to explicitly express ##P(x,y)##.

The solution to the bifurcation part of this problem may be load path dependent .

Referring to the lower end of the lower spring : The final position coordinates do not give enough information . You need to start with coordinates at a position where the tension of both springs is zero and then define a path through successive later positions .

The solution to the basic equilibrium problem with lower spring end at specific coordinates is just simple statics .

Last edited:

Related to Spring Energy System: Finding Total Energy with User-Selected Position (x,y)

1. What is the Spring Energy System?

The Spring Energy System is a physical system that involves a spring and an object attached to it. When the object is displaced from its equilibrium position, the spring exerts a force on the object, causing it to oscillate. This system is commonly used in physics experiments to study energy and motion.

2. How is energy calculated in the Spring Energy System?

The total energy in the Spring Energy System is calculated by adding the potential energy stored in the spring and the kinetic energy of the object. The formula for total energy is E = 1/2 * k * x^2 + 1/2 * m * v^2, where k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the object, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

3. What is the significance of user-selected position in the Spring Energy System?

User-selected position allows for the calculation of total energy at any point in the motion of the object. By inputting the x and y coordinates of the object, the position can be used to determine the displacement and velocity of the object, which are necessary for calculating total energy.

4. How does the Spring Energy System demonstrate the conservation of energy?

The Spring Energy System is an example of a closed system, meaning that no external forces are acting on the system. In this closed system, the total energy remains constant. As the object oscillates back and forth, the potential energy stored in the spring is converted into kinetic energy and vice versa. This demonstrates the conservation of energy, where energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another.

5. How is the Spring Energy System used in real-world applications?

The Spring Energy System has many real-world applications, such as in shock absorbers, car suspension systems, and pogo sticks. In these cases, the spring is used to absorb and store energy, providing a smoother and more controlled motion. The Spring Energy System is also used in sports equipment, such as trampolines and diving boards, to provide a spring-like bounce.