1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid mechanics: calc the acceleration of a particle at a point.

1. Nov 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A velocity field is given by [itex]\vec{V}[/itex]= [Ax[itex]^{3}[/itex] + Bxy[itex]^{2}[/itex]][itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + [Ay[itex]^{3}[/itex] + Bx[itex]^{2}[/itex]y][itex]\hat{j}[/itex]; A=0.2 m[itex]^{-2}[/itex]s[itex]^{-1}[/itex], B is a constant, and the
    coordinates are measured in meters. Determine the value and
    units for B if this velocity field is to represent an incompressible
    flow. Calculate the acceleration of a fluid particle at point
    (x, y)=(2, 1). Evaluate the component of particle acceleration
    normal to the velocity vector at this point.

2. Relevant equations

u=[itex]\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial y}[/itex] v=-[itex]\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the above equation to get value equations u and v, there is something I'm missing, a bit of reasoning that has to be made using the given information to determine a constraint that exists since the fluid is incompressible. This should link the rates of change to each other. But that's where I get stuck, having trouble hanging on to all the concepts..

u = [2Bxy][itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + [.6y[itex]^{2}[/itex] + Bx[itex]^{2}[/itex]][itex]\hat{j}[/itex]
    v = -[.6x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + By[itex]^{2}[/itex]][itex]\hat{i}[/itex] - [2Bxy][itex]\hat{j}[/itex]

Assumptions:
    1. Incompressible flow
    2. B is constant

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

"Incompressible" links the derivatives of the velocities in both directions.
    This gives you one constraint and allows to calculate B.

4. Nov 24, 2012 #3
    so du = -dv? increases of u lead to decreases of v.

5. Nov 25, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Not du = -dv, but du/dx = -dv/dy (or the other way round?) should work.

6. Nov 25, 2012 #5
    when I try [itex]\frac{du}{dx}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{dv}{dy}[/itex] I get

[2By][itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + [2Bx][itex]\hat{j}[/itex] = [2By][itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + [2Bx][itex]\hat{j}[/itex]

which doesn't help solve for B, unless I'm messing up somewhere or forgetting something.
    The same happens when I take [itex]\frac{du}{dy}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{dv}{dy}[/itex]

[2Bx][itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + [1.2y][itex]\hat{j}[/itex] = [1.2x][itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + [2By][itex]\hat{j}[/itex]

7. Nov 25, 2012 #6

mfb

2016 Award

The second equation can be solved for B.

8. Nov 25, 2012 #7
    I'm getting B = 1.2/2
    does that look right?

9. Nov 26, 2012 #8

mfb

2016 Award

I think so. It solves the equations for i and j at the same time, which looks good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook