1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics: Flow Between Parallel Plates-Force Balance Equation

1. Mar 30, 2007 #1
    Fluid Mechanics: Flow Between Parallel Plates--Force Balance Equation

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

I know the equation for shear, tau=viscosity*velocity gradient. and pressure is obviously force/area.

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved this problem using navier-stokes equations, and using the assumptions given in the problem. however, the homework graders wrote to use force-balance equations instead, as stated in the problem. ><;;

The professor went over a similar example of a cylindrical fluid element, where the area factor was simply pi*r^2. however, i'm confused by the plates being infinite, so i can't seem to figure what the area is. how do i calculate the area of the fluid element? is it simply dy*dx? how is the pressure/pressure gradient affect being that the plates are infinite? I just need to know what the force balance equation looks like.

Here's a picture of my professor's lecture slide about the cylindrical fluid element and its force balance equation: link

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?