1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid mechanics help, where am i going wrong?

1. Aug 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [PLAIN]http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/6918/screenshot20110828at111.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    P_base= rho * h * g = 1800 kg/m^3 * h * 9.81 m/s^2 = 17658 * h kg/(m^2 s^2)
    F_h= .5 * h * P_base = 10594.8 * h^2 kg/(m^2 s^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am trying to find the force F_h by calculating the pressure at the bottom of the load and creating a resultant. The issue i believe i am having is that there is no depth given so I'm not sure how to calculate the force on a wall since i only have 1 of the walls dimension. Unless I'm reading the problem incorrectly and the width and depth are both .25m? When i do the math the F_h works out to be kg/s^2 instead of newtons.

Once i figure out the F_h i would then just need to take the moment about A to find the tipping point and the max F_friction to find the highest sliding point, correct? If anyone could guide me as to what I'm doing wrong that would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2011 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I believe you're on the right track.

When a dimension is omitted in a problem you can be pretty sure it's not needed. Just assume a 1m depth. Then compute the resultant for F_H to get the slip point and sum torques (moments) about A as you say.

Isn't it funny how they say "retaining wall" instead of just "dam"?

PS - force is now pressure * effective height * 1m, you realize.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook