Calculating angular acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the gravity force and the moment, as well as finding the moment of inertia, angular acceleration, and potential errors in the calculations. The speaker also mentions the need for a sketch and clarification on the coordinate system and unit consistency.
shreddinglicks
Homework Statement
In Creo I have a pendulum modeled that is swinging. I want to calculate by hand the initial angular acceleration. Creo gives this value as 97.68 r/s^2.

Using Creo I know:

m = 5.26e-1 kg
A = 1.19e4 mm^2
distance from origin to centroid (0,-6.8e1,0)
g = 9806.6 mm/s^2

Centroid moment of inertia (Principal moment of inertia)
Ix' = 1.13e3
Iy' = 8.41e1
Relevant Equations
alpha = M / J angular acceleration
M = F*r where F is the gravity force

Parallel axis theorem
J = (Ix' + Iy') + [A*(dx^2 + dy^2)]
I calculate the gravity force

F = mg = (-9806.6)*(5.26e-1) = -5158 (mm^2*kg)/s^2

I get the moment

M = F*r = (-3.5e5)*(-6.81e1) = 3.5e5 (mm^2 * kg) / s^2 Where r is the y coordinate distance from origin to centroid

J = (Ix' + Iy') + [A*(dx^2 + dy^2)] = ([1.13e3] + [8.41e1]) + ([1.19e4]*([-6.81e1]^2)) = 5.52e7 kg*mm^2

alpha = M/J = 3.5e5 / 5.52e7 = 6.34e-3 1/s^2

What did I do wrong? I'm not getting my desired 97.68 r/s^2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, a sketch of the situation might help ...
There you could also indicate what coordinate system and the meaning of some of the symbols you use (instead of leaving us to guess). Is the rotation around one axis ? Then why the ##I_x## and ##I_y## ?

You use a funny set of units, but -- if you do it consistently -- that should be ok. Do you ?

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is: α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where α is the angular acceleration, ω2 and ω1 are the final and initial angular velocities, and t2 and t1 are the final and initial times.

3. What are the units of angular acceleration?

The units of angular acceleration are radians per second squared (rad/s2). This is because angular velocity is measured in radians per second (rad/s) and time is measured in seconds (s), so the units cancel out to leave radians per second squared.

4. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the radius of the object's rotation. The formula for this relationship is a = αr, where a is the linear acceleration, α is the angular acceleration, and r is the radius of rotation. This means that for a given angular acceleration, a larger radius will result in a smaller linear acceleration, and vice versa.

5. What factors can affect angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be affected by several factors, including the torque applied to the object, the moment of inertia of the object, and any external forces acting on the object. The shape and mass distribution of the object can also have an impact on its angular acceleration.