Fluid Mechanics Velocity at Outlet

In summary: Sorry about that. So the circumference should be C=πD=0.0625ft2. I think that's right!In summary, the conversation is about calculating the average velocity of water exiting a 1.5 [in] diameter pipe after being injected through porous walls at a velocity of 3 [in/s], given an inlet velocity of 6 [ft/s]. The calculation involves using the density of water, the area and circumference of the pipe, and the conservation of mass formula. The initial calculation was incorrect due to an error in calculating the circumference, but was later corrected and the final answer was determined to be 9.82 ft/s.
jdawg

Homework Statement

Water flows through a 1.5 [in] diameter pipe. In a 1.5 [ft] section of the pipe water is injected through the porous walls into the pipe at a velocity of 3 [in/s]. What is the average velocity at the exit if the inlet velocity is 6 [ft/s]?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used 62.4 lb/ft3 for the density of water.
I calculated the area of the pipe to be
A=πR2=0.01227 ft3
m1=ρAv=(62.4)(0.01227)(6)=4.59 lb/s

Aw=DL=(1.5/12)(1.5)=0.1875 ft^2 I'm not super confident that this area is correct...
mw=ρAwvw=(62.4)(0.1875)(3/12)=2.925 lb/s

Then I used the conservation of mass...
m1+mw=m2
(4.59)+(2.925)=m2
m2=7.25 lb/s

Now just plug into formula to get vout
vout=(m2)/(ρA)=(7.52)/(62.4*0.01227)
vout=9.82 ft/s

Which is wrong... My options are 7 ft/s, 18 ft/s, 28 ft/s, and 150 ft/s.
I'm not sure what I did wrong!

Attachments

• PorousWallPipe.png
    PorousWallPipe.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 345
Physics news on Phys.org
jdawg said:

Homework Statement

Water flows through a 1.5 [in] diameter pipe. In a 1.5 [ft] section of the pipe water is injected through the porous walls into the pipe at a velocity of 3 [in/s]. What is the average velocity at the exit if the inlet velocity is 6 [ft/s]?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used 62.4 lb/ft3 for the density of water.
I calculated the area of the pipe to be
A=πR2=0.01227 ft3
m1=ρAv=(62.4)(0.01227)(6)=4.59 lb/s
This calculation seems to be OK.
Aw=DL=(1.5/12)(1.5)=0.1875 ft^2 I'm not super confident that this area is correct...
mw=ρAwvw=(62.4)(0.1875)(3/12)=2.925 lb/s
Is the circumference of a circular pipe equal to its diameter? Or is it equal to something else?

Likes jdawg
Haha I knew that area couldn't be right... I got thrown off because I was given the length of the porous wall. So is that length L just useless information?

jdawg said:
Haha I knew that area couldn't be right... I got thrown off because I was given the length of the porous wall. So is that length L just useless information?
No, it's not the length that's the problem with the calculation.

I mentioned specifically the circumference of the pipe and how you calculated it.

Likes jdawg
Oops sorry. That makes more sense. Circumference=2πr*h=0.0625ft2. Thanks!

jdawg said:
Oops sorry. That makes more sense. Circumference=2πr*h=0.0625ft2. Thanks!
What's h supposed to be?

Oops, that's the length L!

Related to Fluid Mechanics Velocity at Outlet

What is fluid mechanics velocity at outlet?

Fluid mechanics velocity at outlet refers to the speed at which a fluid exits a confined space or system. It is an important aspect of fluid mechanics as it affects the overall flow and behavior of the fluid.

How is fluid mechanics velocity at outlet calculated?

The velocity at outlet is typically calculated using the continuity equation, which states that the mass flow rate at the inlet and outlet of a system must be equal. This equation takes into account the density and cross-sectional area of the fluid at the inlet and outlet.

What factors can affect the velocity at outlet in fluid mechanics?

The velocity at outlet can be affected by various factors, including the geometry of the system, the viscosity of the fluid, and the pressure difference between the inlet and outlet. Other factors such as temperature, turbulence, and flow rate can also play a role.

Why is the velocity at outlet important in fluid mechanics?

The velocity at outlet is important because it affects the overall flow and efficiency of a system. In many cases, the desired velocity at outlet is crucial for the proper functioning of the system, such as in pumps, turbines, and pipes.

How can the velocity at outlet be controlled or adjusted in fluid mechanics?

The velocity at outlet can be controlled or adjusted by changing the parameters that affect it, such as the geometry of the system, the fluid properties, and the pressure difference. This can be done by using valves, pumps, or other control mechanisms.