Fluid pressure in different test tubes

In summary, the conversation discusses the reasons for a liquid reaching a higher altitude in a skinnier test tube compared to a wider one. The main explanation given is capillary action, which allows the liquid to easily climb up the walls of a thinner tube. Other ideas, such as pressure and tension, are considered but deemed less significant. It is also mentioned that the weight of the liquid inside the tube must equal the atmospheric pressure outside, and a smaller tube means less weight of the liquid in a specific area. The conversation ends with the clarification that water is not adhesive and the main cause for the phenomenon is capillary action.
blader324

Homework Statement

okay, so what I've been asked to do is explain why a liquid reaches a higher altitude in a skinnier test tube than in a wider test tube.

i've brainstormed ideas...but i can't find the one that deals with pressure and tension and stuff like that...stuff that deals with bernoulli's equation. these are my ideas.

-capillary action inside the tubes that allows the water to easily climb up walls on a thinner tube than a thicker one.

-the weight of the water has to be equal to the atmospheric pressure outside the tube to balance it out. so the thinner the tube, the less water it has in a specific area than a larger tube does in that same area. so water rises more in a thinner tube (to increase the weight) so that the atmospheric pressure outside is equivalent to the pressure inside.

-then i was thinking. the area of a thinner tube is less than the area of a thicker tube. so if the area is smaller that means that the pressure is larger. and if the pressure is larger in a skinnier tube, it travels upwards to even out with the lower atmospheric pressure. (at high altitudes, the atmospheric pressure is lower)

can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stick with the capillary action explanation. The others are silly.

Probably the tube isn't high enough for atmospheric density to change significantly.

okay...so the other thing i thought of last night was that the weight of the fluid inside the tube has to equal the atmospheric pressure outside the tube. if you have a smaller tube, the weight of the fluid inside of it is different than the weight of the fluid inside a larger tube... so in order for the fluid to equal the atmospheric pressure outside the tube, more water is pulled up through the tube.

Is the tube sealed from atmosphere? If not, then the pressure in the tube IS the atmospheric pressure, which is the same as outside the tube.

no...the tube is not sealed...so should i just stick with the capillary action, cohesiveness, and adhesiveness to describe the water being able to easily climb up a skinnier tube than a thicker tube?

What?! Water is adhesive?

As already told, the main cause is capillary action. Everything else are minor corrections, which can in most circumstances be neglected.

alright...i'll stick to that explanation then. THANKS SO MUCH. take care...and my fingers are faster than my brain...but just to clarify...water is NOT adhesive...my mistake on that slip.

1. What is fluid pressure?

Fluid pressure is the force per unit area exerted by a fluid on its container or surrounding surfaces. It is caused by the collisions of the fluid molecules with each other and with the walls of the container.

2. How is fluid pressure measured?

Fluid pressure can be measured using a device called a manometer, which consists of a tube filled with a liquid, typically mercury, and connected to the container of the fluid being measured. The height of the liquid in the tube is then used to calculate the pressure.

3. How does the shape of a test tube affect fluid pressure?

The shape of a test tube can affect fluid pressure in several ways. A wider test tube will have a larger surface area, resulting in a greater force per unit area and therefore a higher fluid pressure. Additionally, a curved test tube may have different pressure distributions along its surface compared to a straight test tube, which can affect fluid pressure.

4. What factors can affect fluid pressure in a test tube?

Some factors that can affect fluid pressure in a test tube include the volume and density of the fluid, the shape and size of the test tube, and the temperature of the fluid. Additionally, the viscosity of the fluid and the presence of any external forces, such as gravity or applied pressure, can also impact fluid pressure.

5. How does fluid pressure change as you move from the bottom to the top of a test tube?

As you move from the bottom to the top of a test tube, the fluid pressure typically decreases. This is because the weight of the fluid above exerts a downward force, creating higher pressure at the bottom compared to the top. However, this may not always be the case, as the shape and size of the test tube, as well as the properties of the fluid, can also affect the pressure distribution.