Fluid pressure (verification please)

In summary, the conversation discussed how to find the force on the bottom of a tank with a given gauge pressure and area. After converting the pressure from pascals to pounds per square inch, and the area from square meters to square inches, the force was calculated by multiplying the two values together. The final result was 48,275 pounds of force on the bottom of the tank.
kieslingrc
1. The water in a tank is at a gauge pressure of 267,018 Pa. If the bottom of the tank that has an area of 0.8 m2, what is the force on the bottom of the tank?

2. P=F/A; F=P*A

3. Converted Pa into 38.8psi for P (267,018/6890); Converted the Area into 103.7 in^2 (.8*10.8*12); Multiply [P*A] 38.8 * 103.7 = 4023.6 in lbs = 335.3 lbs of force. Did I do this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The portion about the Paschals to PSI is pretty close but the area portion is wrong.

We are to use all units in the book and to 1 decimal place rounded up so that's where I came up with the Pa conversion.

Hmmm, in my book, the conversion is 1m^2 = 10.8ft^2, so I converted the m - ft by multiplying it leaving 8.6ft^2. I had to get the units to be the same so converted ft^2 to in^2, multiplying it by 12. Where did I go wrong? Thanks in advance for your guidance.

How many SQUARE inches in a SQUARE foot?

gotcha, I needed to multiply by 144, not 12, right? But in that case, my numbers seem way too high.

You have pressure of roughly 38 psi with an area of .8 m^2 which is about 1240 in^2. The force is large.

So that leave me 48,275 psi, or 335.2 ft lb^2. The force is 112,359 lbs.

No. Pressure times area is force. Why do you write psi for force? Force is pounds. Pressure is pounds per square inch.

The units work algebraically just like variables.

(lbs/in^2)X(in^2) = lbs

The pressure is 267018 Pa which is 38.73 lbs/in^2
The area is 0.8 m^2 which is 1240 in^2.

Multiply them!

OK, I am totally confused. Let me start over.

The pascal conversion was fine, no need to work with that anymore. 38.8 lb/in^2
Area: [1m^2 = 10.8ft^2]; [10.8ft^2 = 1555.2 in^2] Convert the area 1555.2 * 0.8 = 1244.2in^2.
The force is 38.8 * 1244.2 = 48,275lbs

That's it. You've got it now.

Thanks Lawrence for helping me understand what I was doing wrong.

1. What is fluid pressure?

Fluid pressure is the force exerted per unit area by a fluid, such as a liquid or gas, on the walls of its container or on an object immersed in it. It is measured in units of pressure, such as pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

2. How is fluid pressure calculated?

Fluid pressure can be calculated using the equation P = F/A, where P is the pressure, F is the force exerted by the fluid, and A is the area over which the force is applied. In simpler terms, pressure is equal to the force per unit area.

3. What factors affect fluid pressure?

The two main factors that affect fluid pressure are the depth of the fluid and the density of the fluid. As depth increases, the pressure also increases due to the weight of the fluid above. Higher density fluids also exert more pressure.

4. How does fluid pressure change with altitude?

As altitude increases, the atmospheric pressure decreases. This is because there is less air above pushing down on the surface of the Earth. However, the pressure of a fluid in a closed container will remain constant regardless of altitude, as long as the container is sealed and the temperature remains constant.

5. What are some real-world applications of fluid pressure?

Fluid pressure has many real-world applications, such as in hydraulic systems used in heavy machinery and vehicles. It is also important in determining the stability and safety of structures, such as dams and bridges. In addition, fluid pressure is essential for many biological processes, such as blood circulation in the human body.