Fluid under centrifugal force (Basic)

In summary, when a cylinder is rolled, its surface will form a parabola or catenary shape depending on the speed and direction of rotation. This shape can also be achieved in a vacuum, but the conditions used in the "Transport Phenomena" book assume atmospheric pressure.
alexsb92
Hi,

What happens to the fluid in a cylinder that is spinned around it's central axis? Would it matter if there would be a bit of air?

Thanks very much,
Alex

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on how fast you rotate the cylinder, the shape of the surface will approach that of a paraboloid of revolution.

Thanks
Matt

Hey,

Thanks for the info, but i think i was a bit unclear, as I was meaning that the cylinder is rolling. Forgot that the direction of it will make a difference.

Any ideas about that?

I don't have the math to back this up, but something's nagging at the back of my head to suggest you're more likely to get a catenary rather than a parabola. I Could be totally wrong on this... Anyone know for sure?

Check out "Transport Phenomena" by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot.

If the fluid surface is exposed to atmospheric pressure (14.696 psi) then the shape will be a paraboloid of revolution.

Thanks
Matt

Why the need for atmospheric pressure? A fluid spun in a rotationally will form a parabola in a vacuum, why is this necessary for the rolling cylinder?

Yes, a fluid under vacuum will produce the same result. I was just stating the conditions used in the Transport Phenomena book for clarity.

Thanks
Matt

1. What is fluid under centrifugal force?

Fluid under centrifugal force refers to the behavior of a liquid or gas when it is subjected to a spinning or rotating motion. This creates a centrifugal force which causes the fluid to move away from the center of rotation and towards the outer edges.

2. How does centrifugal force affect the behavior of fluids?

Centrifugal force causes the fluid to experience a radial acceleration, which causes it to move in a circular motion. This can lead to changes in the density and pressure of the fluid, as well as the formation of vortices or eddies.

3. What factors influence the behavior of fluid under centrifugal force?

The behavior of a fluid under centrifugal force is influenced by factors such as the speed of rotation, the viscosity of the fluid, and the size and shape of the container in which it is being spun.

4. What are some real-world applications of fluid under centrifugal force?

Fluid under centrifugal force is used in various industrial processes, such as separating liquids of different densities, filtering particles from a liquid, and creating artificial gravity in space. It is also utilized in laboratory equipment, such as centrifuges and hydrocyclones.

5. How is fluid under centrifugal force related to the Coriolis effect?

The Coriolis effect is a result of the rotation of the Earth, which causes a deflection in the path of objects moving over its surface. This effect also influences the behavior of fluids under centrifugal force, causing them to follow curved paths instead of straight lines.