1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Fluids Bernoulli and a pressure field

1. Oct 25, 2017 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

I have a text that writes a pressure balance for a cylindrical shape of fluid, where the linearized Bernoulli gives the pressure field ##p = p_0+\rho\partial_t \phi : \vec{v} = -\nabla \phi## where ##\vec{v}## is the velocity vector. ##p_0## is the static pressure required to maintain the fluid's static interface shape.

Evidently gravity and kinetic energy are neglected. My question is, how is it simply ##p## equates to both the transient and ##p_0## quantity? Wouldn't there have to be a transient quantity corresponding to ##p## (wherever it's located?)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2017 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could you explain that to me please ?

4. Oct 29, 2017 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

There is a volume of liquid shaped as a cylinder, and a wire runs streamwise, attaching tangentially to the volume of liquid. The surrounding media is a fluid with negligible density compared to the cylindrical liquid. In equilibrium the liquids shape will be pure cylindrical. Disturb the volume slightly and it will start to resonate and note always be cylindrical (the cross-sectional circles won't be circles, but have small waves). Given this, is my post #1 clear now?

5. Oct 30, 2017 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry but I still don't entirely understand what you are doing . I can see now what the general idea of the problem is but I can't link that to your equations or the related question .

I'll let this one go I think . Thank you anyway for replying .

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted