1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluoride Ions needed to treat water

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Fluoride ion is poisonous in relatively low amounts: 0.2 g of F - per 70 kg body weight can cause death. Nevertheless, in order to prevent tooth decay, F - ions are added to drinking water at a concentration of 1 mg of F - ion per L of water. How many kilograms of sodium fluoride is needed to treat a 7.50 x 10^2 gallon reservoir?

2. Relevant equations
    1mg = 1.0 x 10^-6kg
    1 gal = 283,905,884 liters

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did 7.50 x 10^2 gallons and converted it to liters. Knowing how many liters is in the reservoir and knowing it takes 1.0 x 10^-6 kg to treat 1 liter of water, I got my answer as 284 kg. Anyone know what I did wrong? I'm fairly confident the answer is 284 kg.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Doesn't look OK.

--

4. Sep 15, 2009 #3
    I figured it out, I forgot a step and yeah I just looked at it again and realized I put the wrong conversion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook