Calculating H3O ions in a drop of water at 25 °C

• Thread starter ducmod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ions
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the number of H3O ions present in a small amount of water at a certain temperature. The individual initially solves the problem incorrectly, but then realizes their mistake and corrects it by using the conversion factor of 6.022 x 10^23. They are then thanked for their understanding of the difference between moles and ions.
ducmod
Hello!
Here is a problem that looked easy for me, but my answer differs from the textbook's one. Please, help me to see my mistake.

How many H3O ions are present in one

drop (0.050 mL) of pure water at 25 °C?

Here is how I solved it:
There are 1.0 x 10^-7 in one liter.
We have 0.000050 liters, hence 0.00005 x 1.0 x 10^-7 = 5 x 10^-12

The book gives 3 x 10^12

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You do understand the difference between number of moles and number of ions?

Borek said:
You do understand the difference between number of moles and number of ions?
Oh! What a shame ) Sorry. Yes. I have to multiply my moles 5 x 10^-12 by 6.022 x 10^23
Thank you!

1. How do you calculate the number of H+ ions in 0.050 ml?

To calculate the number of H+ ions in 0.050 ml, you need to know the concentration of the solution in units of moles per liter (M). Then, you can use the formula: number of H+ ions = concentration (M) x volume (L) x Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23).

2. What is the concentration of a solution with 0.050 ml of H+ ions?

The concentration of a solution with 0.050 ml of H+ ions depends on the volume of the solution. If the volume is 1 liter, then the concentration would be 0.050 M. If the volume is 0.5 liters, then the concentration would be 0.10 M.

3. How many moles of H+ ions are in 0.050 ml?

To determine the moles of H+ ions in 0.050 ml, you need to know the concentration of the solution. Then, you can use the formula: moles = concentration (M) x volume (L). So, if the concentration is 0.050 M, then there would be 0.0025 moles of H+ ions in 0.050 ml.

4. How does the number of H+ ions in 0.050 ml compare to 0.050 L?

The number of H+ ions in 0.050 ml is 1000 times less than in 0.050 L. This is because there are 1000 ml in 1 liter, so 0.050 L would contain 1000 times more volume than 0.050 ml. Therefore, the concentration of H+ ions in 0.050 L would be 1000 times greater than in 0.050 ml.

5. What is the significance of knowing the number of H+ ions in a solution?

Knowing the number of H+ ions in a solution is important for understanding the acidity or basicity of the solution. H+ ions are the determining factor in pH (a measure of acidity), so by knowing the number of H+ ions, we can determine the pH and understand the chemical properties of the solution.