1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux above a flat horizontal surface

1. Sep 17, 2014 #1
    So my question is, am I missing any key thing in answering the question below?

Question: An electric flux of 149 N.m2/C passes through a flat horizontal surface that has an area of 0.67 m2. The flux is due to a uniform electric field. What is the magnitude of the electric field if the field points 15degrees above the horizontal?

So I've tried E=I/(Acos(90-θ)
    I=flux, and A= area, 0.67

E= 149/(0.67cos75)

And I have gotten...

=859.24 (this seemed too large)

=204.98 (I didn't use parenthesis, and too low)

=57.55 (this was just an odd one my calculator gave me)

So, I believe that it should fall somewhere in the 400-650ish range but please help, I have no idea of what to do with my calculator's answers

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... what leads you to that belief?

If the angle is 0, then E=I/A = 222.39N/C - which would be a minimum, right?
    As the angle gets shallower, then you need a bigger E field to get the same flux.

Your belief is that 15deg should give you 2-3 times the minimum field required for the flux?
    What is ##1/\sin(15^\circ)## ? You don't have to trust your calculator if you don't want to - figure the trig by hand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted