1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux Linkage with a coil in a solenoid

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A solenoid of cross-sectional area 2*10^-4 m^2 and length 0.5m having 500 turns is to be used to produce a uniform magnetic field some distance close to the center of the solenoid. Find the current that must flow in the solenoid to produce a magnetic flux density of 3*10^-3 Tesla. What is the flux linage with the coil?

2. The attempt at a solution

I worked out the first part. I found the current and it is 2.39A (correct according to the answer given by the book)

Now the second part, i used the equation flux linkage = magnetic flux density * Area
    = (3 * 10 ^-3) * (2*10^-4)
    = 6*10^-7 Webers

Apparently my second answer is incorrect. According to the book it's supposed to be 3*10^-4 Wb. Can someone please help me find my mistake? Thanks a lot
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi BadlyAddicted,

That's right for the flux through one loop of the solenoid. So how would you find the flux linkage for the entire solenoid?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?