1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux of Vector Field Across Surface

1. Mar 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Compute the flux of vector field (grad x F) where F = (xz+x^2y + z, x^3yz + y, x^4z^2)
    across the surface S obtained by gluing the cylinder z^2 + y^2 = 1 (x is > or eq to 0 and < or eq to 1) with the hemispherical cap z^2 + y^2 (x-1)^2 = 1 (x > or eq to 1) oriented in such a way that the unit normal at (1,0,0) is given by i.

My approach to find the flux is to take the triple integral of the gradient of F * dV. I found the gradient to be <z + 2xy, x^3z +1, 2zx^4> and I set up the integral but I am a bit confused as to what the limits should be. Should I be even taking a triple integral??

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2
    also... can I use cylindrical coordinates for the volume of the cylinder then use spherical coordinates for the volume of the cap and add them together?

4. Mar 25, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How are you taking the triple integral? The "gradient of F" is a vector quantity and dV is not. I thought perhaps you were using the divergence theorem but you say nothing about the divergence of grad F (which would be [itex]\nabla^2 F[/itex]).

If you are doing this directly (not using the divergence theorem), you need to integrate grad F over the surface of the figure. Yes, you can do the cylinder and hemisphere separately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?