FLuxions. differenntials and power series

In summary: THEN use the power series to get the coefficients.In summary, the first thing to note is that the question describes how to solve a logarithm. The second thing to note is that the question does not provide instructions on how to solve the fluxional equation.
roadrunner

Homework Statement

The firstthing I need to note is this is for a HISTORY of math course, so we have to use non modern techniques in most cases, some not. In other words, thequestion describes how to solve them. I'm also on a compyuter with a terrible keyboard so I'm doing my best.

1)
Derive the power series for the logarithm by beginning with dy=1/(x+1)dx and assuming that y is apowerseries in x with undetermined coeeficients, and solving simple equations to determine each coeefficient in turn.

2)solve the fluxonial equation x*/y*=2/x+3-x^2 by replacing x with x+1 and then using power series techniques

NOTE: x* and y* are simply x with a dot above it, indicting derivtive of x in the old notation

Homework Equations

1) 1/(x+1)=1-x+x^2-x^3+...

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Well I know that if i intergate this i get the corretc solution, but they didnt have our modern integrating notations at the time. (this is Leibniz) and it syas to determine coofeicients, so I have no idea where to start

2) i had no idea what to do here. I repce x with x+1 and got 2/(x+1) (whihc is 2 times the same expandion in 1) ) +3-(x^2+2x+1)

No idea wht to do after that, I don't even know what I'm suposed to solve for.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
on problem 1)

I said that y=a+bx+cx^2+dx^3...

that is, y is some power series of x,

then i took the derivative of that getting

dy/dx =b+2cx+3dx^2...

and let that equal the power series for 1/(x+1)

that is,

1-x+x^2-x^3+x^4=b+2cx+3dx^2

and get that b=1 2c=-1, this c=-1/2, and by the same logic d=1/3, e=1/4 etc etc.

Would that be correct?

Last edited:
for number 2, i thought about it more, and I'm thinking I need to solve to x*/y* in terms of a simple equation (like how 1-x+x^2-x^3+... becomes 1/(x+1)

What are fluxions?

Fluxions, also known as derivatives, are a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve problems involving rates of change.

What are differentials?

Differentials are small changes in the value of a variable or function. In calculus, they are used to approximate the change in a function as the input variable changes. Differentials are closely related to derivatives and are used to solve problems involving optimization and related rates.

What are power series?

Power series are infinite polynomial functions that can be used to represent a wide variety of functions. They are particularly useful for approximating functions that are difficult to evaluate or do not have an algebraic expression. Power series are a fundamental concept in calculus and have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

How are fluxions, differentials, and power series related?

Fluxions and differentials are closely related to each other and are both used to represent the rate of change of a function. Power series are also related to fluxions and differentials as they can be used to approximate the value of a function at a specific point by using a series of derivatives.

What are the practical applications of fluxions, differentials, and power series?

Fluxions, differentials, and power series are essential tools in many fields of science and engineering. They are used to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and approximation of complex functions. They have applications in physics, economics, engineering, and many other fields where understanding and predicting change is crucial.