Flywheel storing kinetic energy

In summary, a 2.30 m diameter flywheel with a mass of 75.0 kg has a maximum kinetic energy of 73950.53 J, with a maximum angular velocity of 54.61 rad/s, due to the limitation of the centripetal acceleration at its rim not exceeding 3430 m/s^2. The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = \frac{1}{2}Iω^{2}, with I = kmr^{2} for a solid uniform disk. The failure of flywheels is caused by internal forces that exceed the material's ability to withstand the stress from centripetal forces.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

There is a 2.30 m diameter flywheel, with a mass of 75.0 kg. For safety/structural (or whatever) reasons, the acceleration at a point on it's rim cannot exceed 3430 m/s^2.

What is the max KE that can be stored in the flywheel?

Homework Equations

[itex]KE = \frac{1}{2}Iω^{2}[/itex]
[itex]I = kmr^{2}[/itex]
The constant k, for a solid uniform disk is [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{4}(75.0)(1.15^{2})ω^{2}[/tex]I'm not sure how to go about getting this in terms of radial acceleration?

I was thinking that I could somehow use the relationship that linear acceleration (a) = radial acceleration (α) times the radius.
[tex]a = αr[/tex]

But that is not panning out at all. Can someone give me some direction please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What causes a flywheel to fail? Flywheels are generally heavy so they do not accelerate angularly at a high rate. So what else is there?

You need Fc = ma = mv²/r

I think one can assume that the angular velocity is constant. Then a point on its rim will have no tangential acceleration but only centripetal acceleration.

Then one can use v = r x omega

Hint: What's the centripetal acceleration at the outer edge of the flywheel? There's a neat formula for it.

Delphi51 said:
You need Fc = ma = mv²/r

I don't see how to use that in this situation. I don't know the centripital force, or the linear velocity, nor do I understand how to get the maximum kinetic energy out of the equation, or substitute that into the formula for the radial kinetic energy?

QuarkCharmer said:
I don't see how to use that in this situation. I don't know the centripital force, or the linear velocity, nor do I understand how to get the maximum kinetic energy out of the equation, or substitute that into the formula for the radial kinetic energy?

But you certainly know the maximum acceleration which is in what direction?

Oh, wait. The acceleration is in m/s^2, by "radial" they are talking about the centripital acceleration, not the "rotational acceleration (rad/s^2). So:

[tex]a_{c}=\frac{v^{2}}{r}[/tex]
[tex]v = ωr[/tex]
[tex]a_{c} = \frac{(ωr)^{2}}{r}[/tex]
[tex]a_{c} = r(ω)^{2}[/tex]
[tex]3430 = (1.15)ω^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{3430}{1.15} = ω^{2}[/tex]
[tex]ω_{max} = 54.61[/tex]

Now:

[itex]KE_{max} = \frac{1}{2}Iω^{2}[/itex]
[itex]KE_{max} = \frac{1}{2}I(54.61)^{2}[/itex]
[itex]I = 0.5(75)(1.15)^{2} = 49.59375[/itex]

[itex]KE_{max} = \frac{1}{2}(49.59375)(54.61)^{2}[/itex]

[itex]KE_{max} = 73950.53[/itex] J

Does that make sense?

What you did makes sense. I did not check your value for I but using your value for I in my equations, I get essentially the same answer.

Flywheels fail because the internal forces (which are due to centripital forces) cause stresses that exceed what the material can withstand.

Great, thanks! I am sure that my I value is correct, I pulled it from the tables.

Appreciate the help, I can't believe I didn't catch that they were not talking about rotational acceleration.

1. What is a flywheel and how does it store kinetic energy?

A flywheel is a mechanical device used to store kinetic energy. It is typically a heavy wheel or disc that rotates on an axle and has a high moment of inertia. When a force is applied to the flywheel, it accelerates and stores energy in the form of rotational kinetic energy.

2. What are the benefits of using flywheels to store kinetic energy?

Flywheels are beneficial because they have a high energy density, meaning they can store a large amount of energy in a small space. They also have a long lifespan and can be charged and discharged repeatedly without losing their storage capacity. Additionally, they have low maintenance costs and can be made from sustainable materials.

3. How is kinetic energy released from a flywheel?

Kinetic energy is released from a flywheel by converting the rotational motion of the wheel into electrical energy. This is typically done using a generator or motor attached to the flywheel. When the flywheel is spinning, the generator or motor produces electricity that can be used to power devices or stored in a battery.

4. What are some applications of flywheel energy storage?

Flywheel energy storage has a wide range of applications, including backup power for critical systems, energy storage for renewable energy sources, and regenerative braking in vehicles. It can also be used in conjunction with other energy storage technologies, such as batteries, to provide a more reliable and efficient energy solution.

5. What are the limitations of flywheel energy storage?

One limitation of flywheel energy storage is its relatively low energy density compared to other storage technologies, such as batteries. This means that it may not be suitable for large-scale energy storage applications. Additionally, flywheels can be expensive to manufacture and require precise engineering to ensure stable operation. They also have a limited lifespan and may require regular maintenance.