How Do You Calculate the Kinetic Energy of a Flywheel?

  • Thread starter Thread starter clairecho22
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Flywheel
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
clairecho22
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Q: A flywheel of moment of inertia 0.32kg/m^2 is rotated steadily at 120rad/s by a 50W electric motor. Find the kinetic energy of the flywheel.

Homework Equations


What is the best way to work this out? Am I using the right equations?
Can I simply substitute the angular rotation (120rad/s) instead of the velocity v in KE=(1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution


This is what I tried doing:
KE = (0.5).(m).(120)^2 but I still don't know the mass
Tried to use ω = v/r but I was not given the radius
To use power, I tried P = F.v -> P = m.a.v but I get stuck again because of mass and acceleration.Where: ω = angular speed; v = linear velocity; m = mass; P = Power; F = force; KE = Kinetic Energy; a = acceleration
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The flywheel is only spinning, not translating. Use the appropriate formula.
 
You've been given some information that you've not used.
Why do you think you were given it?

You've got the linear formula, the principle is the same for rotation. You just need to use the rotational analogues.