Flywheel with weight - Rotational Inertia

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a 15 kg flywheel with mass concentrated at its outer rim and a 4.7 kg weight hanging on a string wrapped around it. The first question asks for the angular velocity of the flywheel when the weight is dropped with a speed of 1.1 m/s, and the answer is determined to be 4.4 rad/s. The second question asks for the kinetic energy of the entire system when the weight is moving with a speed of 1.1 m/s. The attempt at a solution involves using the equations for rotational and kinetic energy, but the final answer of 7.381 J is incorrect. The person is seeking help to figure out where they went wrong
Bryon
Hey everyone! I have a small problem with part b. I am wondering if i miscalculated something. Any ideas? Thanks!

Homework Statement

A 15 kg flywheel has all its mass around its outer rim. A string is wrapped around it and a m = 4.7 kg weight is hanging on the string. The flywheel has radius R = 0.25 m.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a) When the 4.7 kg weight is dropping with a speed of 1.1 m/s, what is the angular velocity of the flywheel?
w = rad/s *
4.4 OK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
b) When the 4.7 kg weight is moving with a speed of 1.1 m/s, what is the kinetic energy of the entire system? This one seems really easy, but for some reason I keep getting the wrong answer.

Homework Equations

K(rotational) = 0.5Iw^2
I = 0.5m(wheel)r^2
KE = 0.5m(block)v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

KE(system) = 0.5[0.5m(wheel)r^2]w^2 + 0.5m(block)v^2

0.5*[0.5*15*0.25^2]*(4.4^2) + 0.5*4.7*(1.1^2)
KE(system) = 4.5375 + 2.8435 = 7.381 J

For some reason 7.381 is not correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please?

Hello! It looks like you have used the correct equations and values to calculate the kinetic energy of the system. However, it is possible that you made a calculation error or used the wrong units for the values. I would recommend double checking your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Additionally, you can try solving the problem using a different method to see if you get the same result. If you are still having trouble, feel free to share your work and we can help you identify any errors. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a flywheel with weight and how does it work?

A flywheel with weight is a mechanical device that stores rotational energy. It consists of a heavy disc or wheel with a central shaft, called an axle, which is free to rotate. When a force is applied to the flywheel, it begins to rotate, storing the energy as rotational inertia. This stored energy can then be used to power other mechanical systems.

2. How does the weight of the flywheel affect its rotational inertia?

The weight of the flywheel directly affects its rotational inertia. A heavier flywheel will have a greater rotational inertia, meaning it can store more energy and maintain its speed for a longer period of time. This is why flywheels used in industrial machines and engines are often very heavy.

3. What is the relationship between the size and shape of the flywheel and its rotational inertia?

The size and shape of the flywheel also play a role in its rotational inertia. A flywheel with a larger diameter will have a greater rotational inertia than one with a smaller diameter, even if they have the same weight. Similarly, a flywheel with a more compact shape, such as a solid disc, will have a greater rotational inertia than one with a more spread out shape, such as a ring.

4. How is the rotational inertia of a flywheel calculated?

The rotational inertia of a flywheel can be calculated using the formula I = 1/2 * m * r^2, where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass of the flywheel, and r is the radius of the flywheel. This formula assumes that the flywheel is a solid disc with a uniform mass distribution.

5. What are some practical applications of flywheels with weight?

Flywheels with weight have many practical applications. They are commonly used in engines and machines to store energy and maintain a constant speed, reducing the strain on the engine. They are also used in hybrid and electric vehicles to store energy from regenerative braking. Flywheels are also used in energy storage systems, where they can store excess energy from renewable sources and release it when needed, helping to stabilize the power grid.