Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FM radio system for simultaneous translation

1. May 9, 2013 #1
    Maybe someone who knows about FM radio transmission equipment can help me. I'm the pastor of a 200 member church in Berlin Germany. I would like to build a small system to broadcast simultaneous translation. I would think all I need is an FM transmitter, microphone and FM radios or headset receivers. The maximum distance required is 75 feet. Is there something I'm missing? Can anyone recommend the kind of equipment I need to purchase? I've seen systems for 10 people at $1000 but I would think I could reduce that price by half or more with a DIY system. Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

You should check the radio spectrum regulations in Germany. Here in the US, you can transmit very low power in the licensed AM and FM bands, so that you can transmit on an otherwise empty channel (if one exists) and folks can just use their portable AM or FM radios to listen. In the US, the range for such transmissions is not very far -- perhaps it can work to 75 feet in an enclosed area like a church, but you would have to try it. You can purchase FM transmitter kits that meet the FCC regulations for transmit power here in the US, for example.

Another option would be to use the ISM "microwave oven" band, which I think is the same in most countries. It is around 2.4GHz, so you would need to figure out how to make the transmitters and receivers. You can transmit substantially more power in the ISM band.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook