1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: For a continuous function on [0,2] , f(0)=f(2)

1. Jul 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose f is a continuous function on [0,2] with f(0) = f(2). Show that there is an x in [0,1] where f(x) = f(x+1).

2. Relevant equations

By the Intermediate Value Theorem, we know that any values between sup{f(x)} and inf {f(x)} over x in [0,2] will be repeated, since the function returns to where it began and must retrace, as it were, its steps (or perhaps it is a constant function).

3. The attempt at a solution

What I have so far is:

Let A = {f(x) : x in [0,1]} and let B={f(x) : x in [1,2]} , then (A [tex]\cap[/tex] B) contains all the values of f(x) that are repeated in these intervals. So f[tex]^{-1}[/tex](A[tex]\cap[/tex] B) contains all the values of x in [0,2] for which f(x) repeats itself. It remains to be shown that there is x1 and x2 in f[tex]^{-1}[/tex](A [tex]\cap[/tex]B) for which x2 = x1 + 1, and I am unsure of how to do this, as I am unsure of my entire approach.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might want to look at the function f(x)-f(x+1) on the interval [0,1].

See if you can prove it has a zero using the IVT

4. Jul 13, 2010 #3
    Wow, thanks a lot! Got it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook