Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animal
In summary: In summary, this conversation consisted of various links to funny and cute animal pictures and gifs. The conversation also touched on the dangers of raising wild animals, the importance of having a sense of humor in certain areas of the forum, and an amusing owl meme.
  • #2,381
I find it fascinating that he speaks both lion and tiger.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,382
Ivan Seeking said:
I find it fascinating that he speaks both lion and tiger.
LOL! That is no joke Pinball! That is what she says.

• Wow
Likes BillTre and pinball1970
  • #2,383
Ivan Seeking said:
LOL! That is no joke Pinball! That is what she says.
Really? I will watch the whole thing.

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #2,384
Baby bats being raised by someone.

Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 9.26.30 AM.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Love
Likes collinsmark, pinball1970, Ivan Seeking and 1 other person
  • #2,385
Ivan Seeking said:
Ligers are bilingual!

Lion vs Tiger sounds

• #2,386
Other lion sounds

• Love
Likes pinball1970
  • #2,387

• Haha
Likes DennisN, BillTre and Borg
  • #2,390
Blue Ring Octopus:

You used to be able to buy these in pet stores. Now you can't, too dangerous.
Occasionally, they are overlooked and get in shipments to pet stores and might get sold.
They are pretty small.

• Wow
Likes DennisN, pinball1970, Ivan Seeking and 1 other person
  • #2,391
Ivan Seeking said:
Oh yes! We had a horse for a time, and it nearly killed me. I was walking behind him which was normally okay. But one day, just when I was directly behind him, a tractor in an adjacent field backfired and the horse kicked with both hind feet. I had just turned my head towards the horse. His hooves just barely missed my head - one on each side! It was so close I could hear them go past my ears.

I came very close to dying or sustaining serious injuries three times in the 25 years we had the place. But that one probably scared me the most. It was sooooooooo close!

I finally found the photos of the horse - Wizard

1676054730010.png

Here he is out running with the dogs and taunting the cows next door.

1676054805904.png

He wasn't comfortable with me at first. But then, one clear and cold December night, when the moon was bright, and with about a foot of snow on the ground, I grabbed his bridle and took him for a run. As we ran side by side, he kept his eye on me the entire time. But the longer we ran, the more comfortable he seemed to be. And sure enough, we ran and ran until we finally became buddies. It was an amazing experience made almost magical by the snow.

• Love
Likes DennisN, strangerep, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #2,392
Ivan Seeking said:
I finally found the photos of the horse - Wizard

View attachment 322059

Here he is out running with the dogs and taunting the cows next door.

View attachment 322060

He wasn't comfortable with me at first. But then, one clear and cold December night, when the moon was bright, and with about a foot of snow on the ground, I grabbed his bridle and took him for a run. As we ran side by side, he kept his eye on me the entire time. But the longer we ran, the more comfortable he seemed to be. And sure enough, we ran and ran until we finally became buddies. It was an amazing experience made almost magical by the snow.
Horses scare the hell out of me but from listening to guys who work with them and have them on their land in different capacities, I can understand that connection. Like dogs.

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #2,393
Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 9.18.02 AM.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes DennisN, pinball1970, Ibix and 2 others
  • #2,395
  • #2,396
pinball1970 said:
Horses scare the hell out of me but from listening to guys who work with them and have them on their land in different capacities, I can understand that connection. Like dogs.
True, horse people really love their horses [unlike cow farmers who often hate all cows with a passion! :oldgrumpy: ]

But ask any long-term horse owner if they have ever been hurt by a horse... Even the best horse is still a very big, dangerous animal. I think anyone I've known who had horses have had a few serious incidents. The former wife of one guy at work took a bad fall and her horse landed on her, causing serious brain injuries. She survived but came out of it a completely different person. They eventually split up.

Cows too! We often had the neighbors cows on our property for many years. I had one very close call with a ticked-off mama cow. The dog had been chasing her baby. When mama went after him, he came running and hid behind me! And then she had me cornered. If she had attacked I would have been trapped. I had a buddy with me who grew up on a farm. I looked to him for advice, especially in a situation like this. I looked at him and he looked like the owl. Uh oh!!! I think we're in BIIIIIIIIIIIG trouble!

The couple next door owned the cows. She had one "push" her through a fence made of 2" x 6" boards.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
  • #2,397
Likes DennisN, pinball1970 and BillTre
  • #2,398

• Wow
Likes DennisN, pinball1970, Jarvis323 and 2 others
  • #2,399
Ivan Seeking said:
Unfortunately, the photographer was eaten moments later.
Dunno about that. The leopard looks quite well fed in the photo. (Or is "she" pregnant perhaps?)

• #2,400
BillTre said:
Blue Ring Octopus:
You used to be able to buy these in pet stores. Now you can't, too dangerous.
Occasionally, they are overlooked and get in shipments to pet stores and might get sold.
They are pretty small.
These critters appear from time to time in rock pools near Australian beaches. Little kids try to pick them up -- before their mother, or other nearby adults, scream at them not to...

• Wow
Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
  • #2,401
Ivan Seeking said:
True, horse people really love their horses [unlike cow farmers who often hate all cows with a passion! :oldgrumpy: ]

But ask any long-term horse owner if they have ever been hurt by a horse... Even the best horse is still a very big, dangerous animal. I think anyone I've known who had horses have had a few serious incidents. The former wife of one guy at work took a bad fall and her horse landed on her, causing serious brain injuries. She survived but came out of it a completely different person. They eventually split up.

Cows too! We often had the neighbors cows on our property for many years. I had one very close call with a ticked-off mama cow. The dog had been chasing her baby. When mama went after him, he came running and hid behind me! And then she had me cornered. If she had attacked I would have been trapped. I had a buddy with me who grew up on a farm. I looked to him for advice, especially in a situation like this. I looked at him and he looked like the owl. Uh oh!!! I think we're in BIIIIIIIIIIIG trouble!

The couple next door owned the cows. She had one "push" her through a fence made of 2" x 6" boards.
I am a city person so contact is limited. We have a few places where people take horses on trails and when I see them I keep my distance and do not make sudden movements.
I used to Fell run in the 90s in Macclesfield and we used to come across cows. To be honest they looked quite mellow. I think they were used to runners.
Fast forward to about 2005 and I was walking home around 6pm after being dropped off from work and I heard a clip clop.
Big horse, in the street trotting straight towards me. The street was residential but led to a main road. I pictured all sorts of carnage so I got in front of it whilst calling 999.
It would be interesting to hear what I said, i know I told them my name where I worked, who for and where I lived so they would know it was not a crank.
The horse went down a side road and I felt I had helped avoid disaster. The side road was a route to more residential. So avoid a pile up on a busy road but it strays into a bunch of kids playing out possibly!??
Police came and got it in the end with the residents.
A huge animal, magnificent, it towered over me and had me struggling to keep up with it.
Heard later someone had tried to steal it from it's stables and it threw them off and ran away.

Likes Ivan Seeking and Ibix
  • #2,402
pinball1970 said:
I am a city person so contact is limited. We have a few places where people take horses on trails and when I see them I keep my distance and do not make sudden movements.
I used to Fell run in the 90s in Macclesfield and we used to come across cows. To be honest they looked quite mellow. I think they were used to runners.
Fast forward to about 2005 and I was walking home around 6pm after being dropped off from work and I heard a clip clop.
Big horse, in the street trotting straight towards me. The street was residential but led to a main road. I pictured all sorts of carnage so I got in front of it whilst calling 999.
It would be interesting to hear what I said, i know I told them my name where I worked, who for and where I lived so they would know it was not a crank.
The horse went down a side road and I felt I had helped avoid disaster. The side road was a route to more residential. So avoid a pile up on a busy road but it strays into a bunch of kids playing out possibly!??
Police came and got it in the end with the residents.
A huge animal, magnificent, it towered over me and had me struggling to keep up with it.
Heard later someone had tried to steal it from it's stables and it threw them off and ran away.
Indeed, a horse on a road is a huge problem. We were actually allowing friends to board their horse at our place, for free. We had him for a year or so I think, when I happened to ask a lawyer about liability. I wanted to be sure we were addressing any legal concerns. When I explained the situation, my lawyer about jumped out of his chair and said, "Get that horse off of your property!" And he was dead serious. This was a HUGE legal problem.

The single biggest concern was that the horse would escape and get out on the road. If something happened and especially if someone died or was seriously injured because of the horse, we were 100% liable and our insurance wouldn't cover it. And we did have one very close call! He almost got away once. So as much as it broke our hearts, that was the end of Wizard. He had to go. :oldfrown:

Other strange complications: A horse can be deemed an attractive nuisance. So, if for example a kid jumped our fence to ride the horse, and got hurt, we were liable no matter how many no trespassing signs we put up.

And get this, even though we were keeping him there for free, we could have been taxed because, I swear this is what he said, we derived pleasure from having him there. :headbang: Tax laws and such are not set up for someone doing a favor. They want to treat it like a boarding business. UNREAL!

Likes BillTre and pinball1970
  • #2,403
You get the balls. I have the bat!

1676154812764.png

• Wow
Likes DennisN, strangerep, collinsmark and 2 others
  • #2,404

• Love
Likes DennisN, Borg, BillTre and 2 others
  • #2,405
Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 10.29.31 AM.png

Likes DennisN and collinsmark
  • #2,406
Starfish, sometimes called penta-d**k.

Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 7.59.35 AM.png

• Haha
Likes strangerep and fresh_42
  • #2,407
Screenshot 2023-03-03 at 8.57.54 AM.png

Likes DennisN, Rive, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #2,408
This guy freed a swan from being entangled in something.
The swan was relieved.
Swan's belly is facing forward.

Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 8.41.16 AM.png

• Wow
Likes collinsmark
  • #2,410

• Wow
Likes DennisN
  • #2,411
BillTre said:

The more I watch animals the more am I upset by humans' egocentrism.

Likes BillTre
  • #2,412
Here is a link to a ~5 minute podcast interview with a guy who found a new species of tongue replacing fish parasites.
He took a picture which made this phenomena widely known.
The picture is not the original (could not find it) but there are a lot of very similar shots by now.

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 6.10.56 PM.png

• Wow
Likes collinsmark
  • #2,413
Lazy animals, very funny... :biggrin:

Doing Nothing At All

• Haha
Likes collinsmark, Bystander, fresh_42 and 3 others
  • #2,414
Ivan Seeking said:

Definitely one of the weirdest videos I've ever seen. 😄
I wonder what the whale was thinking...