There are lots of kinds of smells possible around aquariums, some worse than others.
When I was four, my family moved to the DC area. For a year we lived in an apartment across the road from the National Zoo. It was my playground!
There are lots of smells in some of their buildings. Large animals buildings smelled a lot like a barn.
I had about 10-15 tanks when I was a kid (before going to college). Only some held fish.
BigDon said:
It would be hard for normal Smoes* to keep that operation less than odiferous.
Well, we were well aware of the a bunch of problems like you describe. Since we got a lot of grant money to make a new facility, we designed things in, via the architect and many different engineers, to address our problems and improve conditions. This approach became standard for designing new NIH funded fish rooms.
I got along well with the engineers because I knew what I wanted to do and I was clear about it.
They were able to engineer it to happen with no problem other than cost and fitting it into the building.
We eliminated leaks, improved floors (sloping to drains has to be planned!), got an HVAC (air handling; heating ventilation and air conditioning) system able to keep the humidity and temperature down, got a great aquaculture water filtration unit (used on fish farms), computer controls/monitoring.
Lots of problems (and some labor) got engineered away. This was one of the most enjoyable, long term projects I have ever been involved in.
When done, everything was better.