Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

  • Thread starter Thread starter micromass
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Animal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3,073 replies · 329K views
Gosh, they're freaky! Looks like a massive worm.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.
They are sold as rubber eels (but not really eels, or fish).
Last time I tried to get some, it was not possible because the animal importation bureaucrats had trouble distinguishing them from some endangered related species.
 
Speaking of funny animals, I remember laughing for like a solid 5 minutes when I first saw these things:

1620668866718.png


It reminded me of this iconic TV show that used to be on when I was very tiny:

1620668902265.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and BillTre
The mouth on that (tardigrade) looks positively industrial.
 
I was out trying a zoom lens recently (a vintage Vivitar 70-300mm), and I saw a family of Eurasian coots in the park which I tried to photograph. It was very difficult of course, since they were often moving and I was using a lens with manual focus. Most of the photos got very blurry, but some got a bit better.

An adult coot feeding a juvenile coot:
_DSC6107m3.jpg


A juvenile coot:
_DSC6068m1.jpg


A coot in a nest:
(this was stationary, so it was easier)
_DSC6416m1.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, berkeman, Keith_McClary and 1 other person
Hummingbirds!
(and more, in this very nicely shot clip)

The beauty of pollination
 
More birds... :smile:
(taken yesterday with a manual Meike 35 mm f/1.4 lens)

The Eurasian coot family got revisited by me:

51176707541_48853c2500_c.jpg


51177797260_db4aef5f93_c.jpg


Another Eurasian coot foraging:

(here the funny feet can be seen, quote from Wikipedia: "As a swimming species, the coot has partial webbing on its long strong toes.")
51177797240_e6dfda227a_c.jpg


A Greylag goose:

51177495629_4d5e85b001_c.jpg


A Canada goose:

51176027287_fe39f12001_c.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and BillTre
Close-ups of Western jackdaws

Today I got very lucky with the camera! :smile:

I was walking through the park and met a man sitting on a bench, surrounded by a family of Western jackdaws, about 5 or 6 of them. He had been feeding them at the same spot regularly for some time, so they had grown very accustomed to him.

Luckily I had my camera with me, with my Canon FD 50mm portrait lens fitted.
So I got the opportunity to photograph this kind of bird under great circumstances;
they were really, really calm, and I could photograph them at between 1 and 2 meters distance.
I was just sitting there talking with the man for about 20 minutes, and photographing the birds peacefully like it was nothing :biggrin:.

It was a very serene experience, and really fun!

Two Western jackdaws:
51205684754_4c623295ee_c.jpg


One jackdaw looking at me:
51205684794_334820bd7e_c.jpg


Beautiful bird:
51204199362_e7a4ec92ff_c.jpg


The hand of the man close to one of the jackdaws:
51204199402_9234f778cd_c.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith, Jarvis323 and collinsmark
I returned to the "bird man" in the park, this time with a Canon FD 135 mm mounted on the camera :smile::

Portrait of a jackdaw:

51224690834_8a82823043_c.jpg


The Crow Look:

51224136883_96c5cde686_c.jpg


Tasty beak:

51223217302_82c99c94ca_c.jpg


A mouthful:
(This crow was not eating the food. He/she just put loads of it in the mouth and went off storing it somewhere. :smile: )
51224136923_f1d05e8a32_c.jpg


A jackdaw on a branch:
(I wish it was a bit sharper, but with animals you sometimes just have to take what you can get :biggrin:)
51224690874_57d308f1fe_c.jpg


And two more...

A little Barnacle gosling out for walk:

51224998825_14ac7a5cc3_c.jpg


A coot nest with two juveniles:

51224690474_d7fa80dd53_c.jpg
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: strangerep, collinsmark and BillTre
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith and BillTre
0F0AD86C-A5FF-478D-8877-55A62681A163.png

AEA2D5A0-4A6F-4C31-B2B1-E2112DFFE05A.png


There's a a squirrel nest in a tree in my yard. I've watched them for generations. Durring the major lockdown, they and the birds were my only company for months. I've been filling a large dish of fresh water every day and one of them would come by my window and get my attention when it was empy. Now I'm afraid my neighbor, with a rat problem in his chicken coup, has poisened them all. I haven't seen any in about 3 days.
 
  • Sad
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: BillTre, Astronuc, hmmm27 and 2 others
Jarvis323 said:
There's a a squirrel nest in a tree in my yard.
Very cool photos! :smile:
 
And it's confirmed, they're out there right now throwing poision pellots everywhere. Makes me a little angry, especially since they've made no serious effort to solve the problem any other way, and didn't notify me or the other neighbors. The cats I've seen coming around will probably die too. Later I'll go around the neighborhood warning people to watch out for signs that their cats and dogs have been poisoned.
 
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and DennisN
Jarvis323 said:
And it's confirmed, they're out there right now throwing poision pellots everywhere. Makes me a little angry, especially since they've made no serious effort to solve the problem any other way, and didn't notify me or the other neighbors. The cats I've seen coming around will probably die too. Later I'll go around the neighborhood warning people to watch out for signs that their cats and dogs have been poisoned.
I may have spoke too soon. I went to ask what kind of poison they're using and it is one that is supposedly non-toxic for dogs and cats, and inneffective for squirrels.
 
A combination of a fish photo and selfie :smile::

Fish-selfie.jpg


The focus is not very good since it was extremely difficult to focus on the fish with a handheld camera and a manual lens (almost impossible) since the fish were always moving :biggrin:. Next time I will use an automatic lens instead.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc, collinsmark and BillTre
A common blackbird photographed today.
They are very careful, moving often and usually keep their distance from humans, so they are quite a challenge to photograph. This one was about 5 meters away from me for only a short while.

_DSC8973_DxO-m1.jpg


_DSC8978_DxO-m1.jpg
 
DennisN said:
They are very careful, moving often and usually keep their distance from humans
?
Quite interesting to see the perception of the same 'thing' from other parts of the world.
We have more of them living in city/town/village than in the forest :doh:
They are quite friendly too. During gardening we can watch them from 2-3m only: but in the park I've seen them right near people sunbathing.
 
Rive said:
They are quite friendly too. During gardening we can watch them from 2-3m only: but in the park I've seen them right near people sunbathing.
Maybe I haven't met the social blackbirds yet :smile:. I have been trying to photograph them for a while, and they've been elusive so far.
 
DennisN said:
I have been trying to photograph them
Maybe that's the problem. Ours are sensitive to intent too: if you are just doing your stuff in the garden, then they are friendly and just doing their own stuff close to you. But if they sense that you have some business with them, then they are suddenly starting to evade you.

And somehow, most of our guests are sensitive to the lens of the camera. I could not figure out that one yet :woot:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and DennisN
A nectar thief earlier this summer.

Taken with an extension tube attached between the lens and camera, which enables focusing at smaller distances. It works rather well, though the photo is not quite as sharp as I would have liked it to be :smile:.

51272598937_350284dff4_c.jpg
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking, berkeman, collinsmark and 5 others
Clear belly of a glass frog.
The round things are eggs.

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 2.16.45 PM.png
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith, Ibix, strangerep and 4 others
A beetle photographed with extension tubes. I tried to identify it with "Google Picture search", and I think it is a Large pine weevil.

51355036809_554617ba2c_k.jpg


51355314285_ee233523c4_k.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, BillTre and Keith_McClary