Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animal
In summary: In summary, this conversation consisted of various links to funny and cute animal pictures and gifs. The conversation also touched on the dangers of raising wild animals, the importance of having a sense of humor in certain areas of the forum, and an amusing owl meme.
  • #1,681
Borg said:
That needs a caption - What are roo looking at? :oldtongue:
Switch on CNN International. They have it in the news tigger!

Likes Borg
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,682
Source
zQ9dROW.jpg

:heart:

Likes Tsu and DennisN
  • #1,683
Borg said:
That needs a caption - What are roo looking at? :oldtongue:
I added a caption under the photo... :oldbiggrin:

Likes Psinter
  • #1,684
strangerep said:
I added a caption under the photo... :oldbiggrin:
I used here a double caption :biggrin:... (I have a feeling this was posted before, but in another thread. If so, I'm sorry, it can be deleted)

This one is old, but it is gold:
6HciXDd.jpg

When kittens are not allowed on the train.

Likes Tsu, DennisN and Sophia
  • #1,685
Psinter said:
[...double caption...]
OK, I added a pre-caption.

• #1,686
strangerep said:
OK, I added a pre-caption.
Yup, just like that. :oldlaugh: :thumbup:

• #1,687
fresh_42 said:
Any volunteers for the Sunday roast out there?
No! I just googled that out and no! How dare you!

• #1,688
fresh_42 said:
Any volunteers for the Sunday roast out there?

November is a good month for pig slaughter. One can have good homemade sausage for Christmas sauerkraurt. It's best when it can freeze outside for a while.
kapustnica.jpg

• #1,689
xsaRrTl.jpg

Likes Tsu, Sophia and fresh_42
  • #1,690
images(2).jpeg
this is the community stray dog in a town in my county. His name is Ťapko and he became a celebrity when citizens signed a petition against town attempts to put him into shelter.

The good people give him food and blankets and the local vet checked and vaccinated him for free. The mayor of the town paid a dog tax for him.
He's been living in the neighbourhood for about 8 years now and is very friendly.

Likes DennisN, Tsu, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #1,691
Miss Iris, Bathing Beauty

Likes Psinter, Tsu and Sophia
  • #1,692
Awww that's cute! What a beautiful and intelligent bird! And how she got angry when that annoying human wanted to decrease the flow in the end :-)

Likes DennisN
  • #1,693
Sophia said:
Awww that's cute! What a beautiful and intelligent bird! And how she got angry when that annoying human wanted to decrease the flow in the end :-)
Yes, this human definitely doesn't know what a good rain forest is about!

Likes Sophia and DennisN
  • #1,694
Otters:

Likes Sophia
  • #1,696
(not) News flash! Bald eagle to be dethroned as the US national bird and replaced with the golden pheasant:

ZeFZE.jpg

Likes fresh_42, strangerep and DennisN
  • #1,697
Psinter said:
funny-picture-i-start-my-journey-today-and-i-walnut-fail-540x421.jpg
And if I fail I shell try again and again until I succeed.

• #1,698

Likes Demystifier, Stavros Kiri and DennisN
  • #1,700
Chasing The Wolverine - Most Extraordinary Predator That Ever Lived - Documentary TV (beautiful mountain scapes)

A wolverine climbs Mt. Cleveland at the end of January. Vertical climb was 4900 ft - in 90 minutes - to an elevation of 10,479 ft. That's impressive. On the other hand, a wolverine weighs up to 30 lbs (14 kgs) as opposed to 170-180 lbs (80-85 kg).

"Not that many people want to go out at 20 below (-20 F), and into a 50 mph wind, and see what a wolverine is doing." Doug Chadwick

Likes collinsmark and DennisN
  • #1,701
Kids and snow ...

Likes Noisy Rhysling, DennisN and Logical Dog
  • #1,702
This is a companion post for my earlier post #1679, which showed the kangaroos at my back door. Here I show one of Eastern water dragons of a small community that seems to have developed outside my front door. o_O

Smaug-30Jan2017.jpg

"Well, human? Will you really challenge me? I laid low the warriors of old, and their like is not in the world today!"

I named this guy "Smaug" because he's the biggest, the scariest, and he ain't afraid of nuthin'. I can approach quite close and he just looks at me (whereas all the other smaller dragons scramble for cover as soon as I open my door). The smaller dragons are cuter than Smaug here, but he keeps scaring them off before I can get pics.

The backstory here comes from the hibiscus bush, whose lower trunk you can just see in the upper right of the photo. It was looking rather sick during recent drought(s) and I decided to start watering it. So of course, it then started pushing out lots more leaves and pretty pink flowers. Normally, hibiscus quickly make a dreadful mess on the ground as they drop their flowers. But I hardly ever noticed flowers on the ground here. :oldconfused:

Then I realized: the water dragons love those flowers! Mmmm, Mmmm. Tasty as.
A flower on the ground won't last more than an hour or so before a dragon finds it.

This morning, I even noticed a small dragon actually leap off a rock, up into the air, trying to grab a low-hanging flower that had not yet dropped. He succeeded, but then took an unceremonious tumble down the hill and had to hunt around for a while to find his flower again.

In the last few months, I've also noticed an increased population of these dragons in this little area of fernery under the hibiscus bush. Now, when I come out my front door, Smaug sometimes rushes up onto the rock because he associates me with the possibility that some hose water might be forthcoming.

Inadvertently, it seems I've become warden of a miniature sanctuary for water dragons. :biggrin:

Ain't life strange?

----------
Update (25 Feb 2017): Smaug is now eating flowers (almost) out of my hand(!), if I dangle them a centimeter or so in front of his nose.

---------
Update (27 Mar 2017): These dragons are more perceptive than you might think... There's a smaller female who hangs out in this same area. Several times, when I was giving flowers to Smaug, she was up on a higher rock, observing proceedings. She seems to have decided she wants a bit of that hand fed luxury too...
A few days ago, she started to come out of hiding whenever I approached the area, and waited for me to drop some flowers in front of her. Yesterday, she actually took one from my hand as I dangled it in front of her. I never expected that, since the smaller dragons are usually far more timid than Smaug.

Last edited:
Likes davenn, DennisN, Psinter and 1 other person
  • #1,703
racoon pooped in hallway.jpg

Likes davenn, DennisN, Bystander and 1 other person
  • #1,704
Prepare to be amazed by nice exploration footage:

Deepwater Exploration: 2016 Deepwater Exploration of the Marianas

Likes EnumaElish, davenn, Psinter and 2 others
  • #1,705
love it ...

Likes EnumaElish, Jonathan Scott, Stavros Kiri and 2 others
  • #1,706
cutiesss

pups.jpg

Likes DennisN
  • #1,707
Likes Stavros Kiri and davenn
  • #1,708
Herding bunny:

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,709
It's calving time here on the farm again

mother and 2 year old daughter
17091444_10154159733446790_31771820_o.jpg

First one of the year
17200087_10154173249021790_2080552462_o.jpg

I have high hopes for this one
17236915_10154189757221790_1745858445_o.jpg

Likes EnumaElish, berkeman, DennisN and 1 other person
  • #1,710
Juvenile bat squeaks while being petted

Likes Stavros Kiri, EnumaElish, CynicusRex and 1 other person
  • #1,711
I have a bunch of little hell raisers now

Likes DennisN, Borg, EnumaElish and 1 other person
  • #1,712

Likes EnumaElish
  • #1,713
Dramatic horses... :DD

• #1,714
watch the movie till end :)

Last edited:
Likes Demystifier and DennisN
  • #1,715
IDK where it scores on the cuteness factor, but I took this a couple months ago when I was trying to condition my pet ball python to support my driver in NASCAR (my theory was that by putting a model car in front of his hideaway where he feels safe, he'd come to associate the feeling of security with the pattern contrasts of the car).

Sorry about the image quality I took it with a cheap phone camera.

Attachments

• AriesElliott.jpg
    AriesElliott.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
Likes DennisN