1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For any two elements A and B that form AB, neither A nor B have to be

1. Nov 4, 2009 #1
    For any two elements A and B that form AB, neither A nor B have to be invertible for (AB)-1 to exist, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2009 #2
    Re: Inverses

Both have to be invertible. Inv(AB) = inv(B)inv(A).

4. Nov 4, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Right. For example..
    [tex] \left[
    \begin{array}{c c c}
    1&0&0\\
    0&1&0
    \end{array}
    \right]
    \left[
    \begin{array}{c c}
    1&0\\
    0&1\\
    0&0
    \end{array}
    \right]~=~\left[
    \begin{array}{c c}
    1&0\\
    0&1\\
    \end{array}
    \right]
    [/tex]

The matrix on the right is clearly invertible, while the two matrices in the product aren't event square, let alone invertible.

5. Nov 4, 2009 #4

Mark44

See my counterexample.

6. Nov 4, 2009 #5

Thanks for the reply. So that would mean that Inv(AB) = inv(B)inv(A) iff inv(B) and inv(A) exist (whereas Inv(AB) may exist without a defined inv(A) or inv(B)), right?

7. Nov 4, 2009 #6

Looks correct to me. The condition that I am familiar with is:

If A and B are invertible matrices of the same size, then AB is invertible and (AB)-1 = B-1A-1.

This is easy to prove by showing that (AB)(B-1A-1) = A(BB-1)A-1 = AIA-1 = AA-1 = I.

As far as the other way of your "iff", if (AB)-1 = B-1A-1 is given then it seems to me that the existence of B-1 and A-1 would directly follow since they are used in the initial condition.

8. Nov 5, 2009 #7

I see. Thanks again for the replies. I have an additional question:

For a matrix C that is not a square matrix, there is no defined inverse; however, it is possible that there is a left inverse A and a right inverse B, in which A =/= B, for the matrix C, right?

9. Nov 5, 2009 #8

Mark44

Yes. See the wikipedia article here, under the section titled Matrices.

10. Nov 5, 2009 #9

Thanks for the link.

So in the case of linear systems Ax = b, I suppose it wouldn't always be possible to use the left inverse of A to isolate x as a general method since the left inverse of A does not necessarily exist. How would one isolate x in these linear systems (other than parametrization of x)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook