Find Group $G$ with Infinite Order Element: Ablien Not Allowed

In summary, we are looking for a non-abelian group $G$ that contains elements $a$ and $b$ satisfying $a^2=e$, $b^2=e$, but the order of the element $ab$ is infinite. We consider two commonly known non-abelian groups, the group of symmetries of the equilateral triangle and 2 by 2 matrices, but neither of these work. Then, we explore the idea of rotations and find that a rotation with irrational angle $\theta$ has infinite order, while a rotation with rational angle has finite order. We also see that the composition of two reflections with different axes is a rotation, leading us to the example of the infinite dihedral group $
alexmahone
Find a group $G$ that contains elements $a$ and $b$ such that $a^2=e$, $b^2=e$, but the order of the element $ab$ is infinite.

My attempt:

Clearly $G$ cannot be abelian. So I looked at two commonly known non-abelian groups, namely

(i) The group of symmetries of the equilateral triangle
(ii) 2 by 2 matrices

Neither of these seem to work. Any help would be much appreciated, guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alexmahone said:
Find a group $G$ that contains elements $a$ and $b$ such that $a^2=e$, $b^2=e$, but the order of the element $ab$ is infinite.

My attempt:

Clearly $G$ cannot be abelian. So I looked at two commonly known non-abelian groups, namely

(i) The group of symmetries of the equilateral triangle
(ii) 2 by 2 matrices

Neither of these seem to work. Any help would be much appreciated, guys.

2x2 matrices work... which types will satisfy the conditions?

I like Serena said:
2x2 matrices work... which types will satisfy the conditions?

I looked at $A=\begin{bmatrix}0&1\\1&0\end{bmatrix}$ and $B=\begin{bmatrix}-1&0\\0&1\end{bmatrix}$.
$A^2=B^2=I$
However, $AB=\begin{bmatrix}0&1\\-1&0\end{bmatrix}$ and it turns out that $(AB)^4=I$.

More generally any reflection has order 2.
Which matrix has an infinite order?

I like Serena said:
More generally any reflection has order 2.
Which matrix has an infinite order?

I guess the zero matrix has infinite order but it wouldn't be part of a group anyway because it has no multiplicative inverse.

Alexmahone said:
I guess the zero matrix has infinite order but it wouldn't be part of a group anyway because it has no multiplicative inverse.

How about a rotation?
What kinds of rotations will do and which ones won't?

I like Serena said:
How about a rotation?
What kinds of rotations will do and which ones won't?

For a rotation by $\theta$ to have infinite order, I guess $n\theta\neq 2k\pi$ or $\displaystyle\theta\neq \frac{2k\pi}{n}$. So I guess something like $\theta=\sqrt{2}$ will have infinite order. Is this what you mean?

Alexmahone said:
For a rotation by $\theta$ to have infinite order, I guess $n\theta\neq 2k\pi$ or $\displaystyle\theta\neq \frac{2k\pi}{n}$. So I guess something like $\theta=\sqrt{2}$ will have infinite order. Is this what you mean?

More or less.
Indeed, a rotation with $\theta=\sqrt{2}$ has infinite order.

More specifically, with $\frac{\theta}{2\pi} \in \mathbb Q$ we have finite order.
That's because with such $\theta$ we can always find a multiple that will be a multiple of $2\pi$.
And with $\frac{\theta}{2\pi} \in \mathbb R \backslash \mathbb Q$ we have infinite order, because we're excluding all such multiples.
(Can we prove it properly?)Back to the problem at hand, consider that the composition of 2 reflections with different axes is a rotation.

1. What is an infinite order element?

An infinite order element in group theory refers to an element in a group that has no finite power equal to the identity element. This means that no matter how many times the element is multiplied by itself, it will never equal the identity element. In other words, the element has an infinite number of distinct powers.

2. What does it mean for a group to be abelian?

A group is considered abelian if its elements commute, meaning that the order in which the elements are multiplied does not change the result. In other words, for all elements a and b in an abelian group G, a * b = b * a.

3. Why is abelian not allowed in this problem?

In this problem, we are looking for a group that has an infinite order element and is not abelian. This is because if a group is abelian, all of its elements will have finite order, and therefore, we would not be able to find a group with an infinite order element.

4. How can we find a group G with an infinite order element?

There are several methods for finding a group with an infinite order element. One approach is to look for non-abelian groups, such as the symmetric group or the dihedral group, and then find an element within that group with infinite order. Another method is to construct a group using generators and relations, ensuring that at least one of the generators has infinite order.

5. Why is finding a group with an infinite order element important?

Finding a group with an infinite order element is important in group theory as it allows us to study and understand the properties of infinite groups. These groups have different behaviors and structures compared to finite groups, and they have important applications in fields such as algebra, geometry, and number theory.