Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For those of you who do a lot of maths, why?

1. Jul 23, 2008 #1

tgt

Apart from the fact that it's fun and enjoyable which are too general as reasons. For me, it's because doing maths makes me feel superior, away from life's everyday miseries and above other human beings. As Russell puts it, "...[maths] allows one to be more than man."

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

please... :rolleyes:

4. Jul 23, 2008 #3
    Yeah, there are numerous mathematicians who can not stand other human beings, sure, they hide behind thick beards... I too like math because of its rigid eternal beauty which pulls me out of this ugly chaos out there :tongue2:

5. Jul 23, 2008 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I like math because it gives me a way to model reality - or at least a pretty good facsimile of it.

Math is enjoyable enough, but I probably wouldn't do that much if it didn't serve some purpose. However, I certainly do appreciate the mathematicians that developed a lot of the techniques that work so well for me.

6. Jul 23, 2008 #5

tgt

It's true. Let's just be honest.

Many people want to get rich not just because they want to buy more stuff for the sake of those stuff but often because they want to show off to their peers. Hence it's all a relative thing and that is why many rich people are not happy etc. But if maths can make you feel superior and above other men (except those that are better mathematicians than yourself) then how awesome is it? As long as you can live comfortably, you will be very happy indeed.

7. Jul 23, 2008 #6
    Because it's a means of achieving my goals. Besides, when you do it for fun it's rather soothing to the soul. :)

8. Jul 23, 2008 #7
    It's certainly not true of all mathematicians and I know for a fact that quite a few of them would find such a position sick. Read about Perelman who refused the Fields medal. Many people contributing to mathematics view their contribution to mathematics much more important than their own person.

There is this attitude in mathematics which consists in playing with concepts until they become familiar to you. This feeling is highly rewarding, intense mathematical pleasure, similar to artistic pleasure. It makes you feel like you have really shared a thought with another person. In this respect, mathematics is a transcendental mean of communication with other human beings sharing the same passion for mathematics. In this understanding of mathematics, all humans are equal in their will to discover and share mathematical knowledge, even though some contribute more and some contribute less, this is a detail compared to the relationship they share with mathematics in general.

This whole scheme certainly does not fit very well with the idea that you can use mathematics to "feel superior".

9. Jul 23, 2008 #8
    LOL doing math to feel superior? Superior to who? The guy who has a well paying job and a girlfriend while you make half as much as he does and you haven't spoken to another person in 3 days?

10. Jul 23, 2008 #9

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So many false stereotypes portrayed in this forum: have you ever met a mathematician?

11. Jul 23, 2008 #10
    No! Because they are locked up in their mom's basement for 3 days at a time! That's my point!

12. Jul 23, 2008 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not if he's a mathematician. In that case, he probably hasn't even met the person in the next cubicle. :rofl:

Actually, wouldn't meeting a mathematician tend to indicate his theory was wrong? Having not met a mathematician would be an indication his theory might be right.

13. Jul 23, 2008 #12

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yea, ok, you sure made a valid point there :rolleyes:

14. Jul 23, 2008 #13

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, his theory is either right, or it is infact him who is "locked up in [his] mom's basement for 3 days at a time." Since I have met plenty of mathematicians, and not one of them lives in a basement, let alone is locked in there, then I would tend to believe the latter.

15. Jul 23, 2008 #14
    Exactly.

Idea: Mathematicians live in their mother's basements and only talk to people every 3 days if at all.

Hypothesis: If I try to meet a mathematician, I will most likely fail because they are all working at their mother's basement/office basement/sewers.

Experiment: Go out and meet people.

Conclusion: No mathematicians met, ergo they are all shut-ins.

WHERE MY NOBEL PRIZE HMMM????

16. Jul 23, 2008 #15
    Probably experimental error on your part. Most likely you misunderestimated what they said, hearing "I'm a mathematician" instead of "I'm Matt, a mortician." or something. Where is your raw data?

17. Jul 23, 2008 #16

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Wow, your English is as bad as your logic! Anyway, my raw data is that I work in a maths department and have friends that are mathematicians. This discussion is pointless, so let's stop now, hey?

18. Jul 23, 2008 #17
  19. Jul 23, 2008 #18
    There is a guy planting some red flags around his house. His neighbour comes to him and ask him "why are you planting those flags ?" to which he answers "It repels giraffes". The neighbour is puzzled "But, there is no giraffe around here". And the guy looks at him "Sure there is not, and you can thank me for that !".

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  20. Jul 23, 2008 #19

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Also, don't forget, doing maths increases the dexterity of your penis.

21. Jul 23, 2008 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?