For which integers x,y is (4-6*sqrt(2))^2 = x+y*sqrt(2)?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter danielw
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integers
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
danielw
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hi All

I have the following question.View attachment 5866

I have reviewed my notes but have not been able to crack this.

I tried two different ways, both wrong.

First:

$$
(4-6*\sqrt2)^2=$$

$$16-24*\sqrt2-24*\sqrt2+(36*2)

= 88-218*\sqrt2$$

so, $x=88$ and

$y=218$My second method was

$$(4-6*\sqrt2)^2= 4^2-(6*2)=28$$

but this is not in the form they want.

I'd really appreciate some advice on how to go about solving this kind of problem.

Thanks!

Daniel
 
Attachments
  • intergers.PNG
    intergers.PNG
    2.3 KB · Views: 140
Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think your first method is the way I would use, so that the LHS of the equation is in the form $a+b\sqrt{2}$:

$$(4-6\sqrt{2})^2=x+y\sqrt{2}$$

$$16-48\sqrt{2}+72=x+y\sqrt{2}$$

$$88-48\sqrt{2}=x+y\sqrt{2}$$

And so we see that:

$$(x,y)=(88,-48)$$