Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Force alongside the inside of a hemispherical bowl

1. Jul 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a bowl filled with milk with a diameter of 16cm. (The density of milk is 1050 kg/m³). Find the total force alongside the inside of the bowl.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I decided to break this problem up. First of all, its the first time we've dealt with a hemisphere, so I wasn't too sure on how to approach it, but this is what I came up with:

Force on the bottom of the bowl (a constant): Bottom: Density * Gravitational Constant * Volume = 1050*9.8*pi*8².

Now, to find the force on the sides using integration. I decided to take a look at the bowl from a top down perspective, doing so, I get a circle. Now, I can apply integrals to calculate every 'ring' from the inside to the outside of the bowl.

(integral from 0 to 8)
    [tex]\int[/tex]2*pi*h * sqrt(64-h²) * 1050 *9.8 dh

I am very unsure if this method would work, but logically...it seems alright with me!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2008 #2
    I had a quick look and I would do exactly the same thing :smile:

4. Jul 29, 2008 #3
    Thanks, are you sure that the force on the bottom is the right constant? going to the help center, someone said there wouldn't be any force, I just couldn't believe him.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook