1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and Air Balloon problem help

1. Jan 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A hot-air balloon consists of a basket, one passenger, and some cargo. Let the total mass be M. Even though there is an upward lift force on the balloon, the balloon is initially accelerating downward at a rate of g/3.

The passenger notices that he is heading straight for a waterfall and decides he needs to go up. What fraction of the total weight must he drop overboard so that the balloon accelerates upward at a rate of g/2? Assume that the upward lift force remains the same.

Lift Force = 2Mg/3

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I basically just tried to divide 2Mg/3 with g/2. But I just got M(4/3). The answer is 5/9. What critical information am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2012 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To start, apply that equation to the situation where the balloon is accelerating downward at g/3. What do you get? (You might need to think carefully about what the F means in F=ma.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook