Force and motion problem with two tensions and 3 masses and an ideal pulley

In summary, the system has a total of 45.839 N of tension in the strings and an additional 20.601 N in the mass of the suspended mass.
runphysicsrun

Homework Statement

Two clay pots (m1 = 6 kg, m2 = 3 kg) joined together by a light string rest on a table. The frictional coefficient between the pots and the table is 0.35. The pots are also joined to a suspended mass (m3 = 4kg) by a string of negligible mass passed over an ideal pulley as shown. Calculate the tensions in strings and the acceleration of the system when the suspended mass is released.

Homework Equations

Ffr=uN
SumF=ma
w=9.81*m

The Attempt at a Solution

sumFm3=T2 + Wm3, m*a=T2- (4kg*9.81), ------> 4a=T2-39.2 (eq1)
sumFm1+m2 y= FNy+FGy, N-w=m*a , N-w=0, w=N, 9.81*9kg= N, 88.29=N
Ffriction=uN, Ffr=0.35 * 88.29N, Ffr=30.9015
sumFm1+m2 x= T2-Ffr, 9*a=T2-30.9015 (eq2.)

Subtracting eq1 from eq 2 gives me 5a=8.2985, a =1.6597
plugging a back into equation 1 gives me 45.839 for T2
sumFm2=T1-Ffr, m*a= T1- N, N=(.35 * 6 * 9.81), 6(1.6597)=T1-20.601, T1=30.6692 N

The answers are: .64m/sˆ2 for a and T1=24N and T2=37N.

Physics news on Phys.org
runphysicsrun said:
sumFm3=T2 + Wm3, m*a=T2- (4kg*9.81), ------> 4a=T2-39.2 (eq1)
sumFm1+m2 y= FNy+FGy, N-w=m*a , N-w=0, w=N, 9.81*9kg= N, 88.29=N
Ffriction=uN, Ffr=0.35 * 88.29N, Ffr=30.9015
sumFm1+m2 x= T2-Ffr, 9*a=T2-30.9015 (eq2.)
You have a sign problem in your equations. If the acceleration of m1 & m2 is 'a' to the right, then the acceleration of m3 is 'a' downward. Give those accelerations the proper signs.

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14756133/physics%20two%20clay%20pots.pngSorry. I accidentally typed plus. If you look at the following equation, though, I have it as a minus. I'm subtracting the force due to gravity from the force due to tension in the downward motion of mass 3. and my positive direction is right for m1 and m2. There's an image of the problem!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait. I just understood what you were talking about. So it should read -4a = T2-39.2! Thanks!

I would first commend the student for their attempt at solving the problem and for using the correct equations and units. However, I would also point out that there are a few errors in their calculations.

Firstly, in equation 1, the student has used the weight of the suspended mass (m3) as the force acting on the system. This is incorrect, as the weight of m3 is already included in the sum of forces acting on m1 and m2. The correct equation should be: 4a = T2 - Ffr.

Secondly, in equation 2, the student has used the total mass (m1 + m2) instead of just m1 in the calculation of the frictional force (Ffr). The correct equation should be: 9a = T2 - (0.35 * 6 * 9.81).

Finally, the student has made a calculation error in solving for T1. The correct equation should be: 6(1.6597) = T1 - 20.601, which gives T1 = 30.6692 N.

With these corrections, the final answers should be: a = 0.64 m/s^2, T1 = 30.67 N, T2 = 45.84 N.

Overall, the student has shown a good understanding of the concepts of force and motion, and with some attention to detail, they can improve their problem-solving skills.

1. What is the formula for calculating the net force in a force and motion problem with two tensions and 3 masses?

The formula for calculating the net force in this scenario is Fnet = T1 + T2 - m1g - m2g - m3g, where T1 and T2 are the two tensions, m1, m2, and m3 are the masses, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do you determine the direction of the net force in this type of problem?

The direction of the net force can be determined by looking at the direction of the two tensions. If the tensions are pulling in the same direction, then the net force will also be in that direction. If the tensions are pulling in opposite directions, then the net force will be in the direction of the greater tension.

3. Can the masses in this problem be different?

Yes, the masses can be different. In fact, the masses must be different in order for there to be a net force and motion in the system. If the masses were all equal, then the net force would be zero and there would be no motion.

4. What is the role of the ideal pulley in this problem?

The ideal pulley serves as a frictionless support for the rope or string that is connected to the masses. It allows for the rope to change direction without any loss of energy, making it easier to analyze the forces acting on the masses.

5. How is the tension in the rope or string related to the masses in this problem?

The tension in the rope or string is directly related to the masses. As the masses increase, the tension in the rope also increases. This is because the greater the mass, the more force is needed to overcome its weight and move it.