1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and Motion Problem

1. May 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rifle bullet leaves the muzzle of a gun at 800. m/sec. The rifle barrel is 80. cm long and the mass of the bullet is 20.g. What force was needed to accelerate the bullet?

2. Relevant equations

Formulas:

F(Total)= ma

F= mg

F = micrometers (m)(g)

3. The attempt at a solution

t= 80 [itex]\div[/itex] 800 = .1s

a= 800 - 0 [itex]\div[/itex] .1 = 8000 m/s^2

The answer is provided on my sheet as 8000 N, but I don't have a clue as to how to do that. Its the closest I've gotten to the answer.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    The equation you used was for time assumed a constant speed along the barrel - but if the bullet travels at a constant speed, then the force must be zero.

if you imagine the bullet has constant acceleration from rest to 800m/s along the length of the barrel, then you use a kinematic equation to find the acceleration.

note: it is best practice to complete the algebra before using the numbers.

4. May 20, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the help. Did you get the answer "8000 N" just like I did this time around?

5. May 20, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I do not, as a rule, actually complete the problems here.
    That's your job ;)

You'll find that the answer is not as important as your understanding of the physics behind it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted