Calculating Average Net Force Exerted on a 15-g Bullet Fired from a Rifle

In summary: Without this information, it is not possible to provide a thorough explanation. However, based on the given information, it can be concluded that the average net force exerted on the bullet is 4290 N. This can be determined by using the formula F = m * a, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object (in this case, the bullet), and a is the acceleration. Using the given values, the mass of the bullet is 0.015 kg and the acceleration can be calculated by using the formula a = (v - u)/t, where v is the final velocity,
courtney101ann
A 15-g bullet is fired from a rifle. It takes 2.5 × 10^-3 s for the bullet to travel the length of the barrel, and it exits the barrel with a speed of 715 m/s . Assuming that the acceleration of the bullet is constant, find the average net force exerted on the bullet
Answer : 4290 N
I need step by step explains please

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF :)
Please Show what you have done so far.

Neither the acceleration nor the speed can remain constant. The acceleration ceases as soon as the propellant stops acting on the bullet. The bullet speed will diminish steadily due to friction with the surrounding air.

klimatos said:
Neither the acceleration nor the speed can remain constant. The acceleration ceases as soon as the propellant stops acting on the bullet. The bullet speed will diminish steadily due to friction with the surrounding air.
As this question does not mention friction,it should be neglected.

Hello courtney101ann,

Welcome to Physics Forums! :smile:

courtney101ann said:
A 15-g bullet is fired from a rifle. It takes 2.5 × 10^-3 s for the bullet to travel the length of the barrel, and it exits the barrel with a speed of 715 m/s . Assuming that the acceleration of the bullet is constant, find the average net force exerted on the bullet

As adjacent points out, please show your work and maybe we can help you if you are stuck.

In the mean time, let me throw out a couple of questions for consideration:
  • What is the change in the bullet's momentum?
  • What is an impulse, and how is it defined? (Defined in the context of force, time, momentum, etc.)

[Edit: klimatos and adjacent: as it turns out, the acceleration doesn't need to constant (uniform) to determine the average, net force. The average, net force can be determined quite easily, in fact, even if the acceleration varies all over the place. The problem statement's assumption about the acceleration being constant is superfluous; it's an unnecessary assumption.

In addition, friction can be present too. It doesn't matter. Friction can be part of the "net" force. Take it or leave it. Whether friction is present or not doesn't change the final answer.]

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
as it turns out, the acceleration doesn't need to constant (uniform) to determine the average, net force. The average, net force can be determined quite easily, in fact, even if the acceleration varies all over the place. The problem statement's assumption about the acceleration being constant is superfluous; it's an unnecessary assumption.
I presume you are suggesting using ΔE/Δs = ∫F.ds/∫ds. I'm afraid that would be an error. I see it several times a year in book questions posed on this forum.
Consider whether average force should be defined as ∫F.dt/∫dt or ∫F.ds/∫ds. I would argue that the appropriate definition would have to match that of average acceleration, namely Δv/Δt = ∫a.dt/∫dt. If acceleration is not constant then this will generally not be equal to ∫a.ds/∫ds.

haruspex said:
I presume you are suggesting using ΔE/Δs = ∫F.ds/∫ds. I'm afraid that would be an error. I see it several times a year in book questions posed on this forum.
Consider whether average force should be defined as ∫F.dt/∫dt or ∫F.ds/∫ds. I would argue that the appropriate definition would have to match that of average acceleration, namely Δv/Δt = ∫a.dt/∫dt. If acceleration is not constant then this will generally not be equal to ∫a.ds/∫ds.
It's simpler than that. I'm just saying that the impulse equals the change in momentum.[Edit: but yes, if you wish, I'm also saying that the average, net force is [itex] \vec F_{ave} = \frac{\int_{t_1}^{t_2} \vec F_{net}(t) \ dt}{t_2 - t_1} [/itex] But that's a little more complicated than I wanted to get into. So I'll summarize that by saying the impulse is also equal to the average net force times the time interval in question; [itex] \vec J = \vec p_2 - \vec p_1 = \Delta \vec p = \vec F_{ave} \ \Delta t [/itex] ]

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
It's simpler than that. I'm just saying that the impulse equals the change in momentum.

[Edit: but yes, if you wish, I'm also saying that the average, net force is [itex] \vec F_{ave} = \frac{\int_{t_1}^{t_2} \vec F_{net}(t) \ dt}{t_2 - t_1} [/itex] But that's a little more complicated than I wanted to get into. So I'll summarize that by saying the impulse is also equal to the average net force times the time interval in question; [itex] \vec J = \vec p_2 - \vec p_1 = \Delta \vec p = \vec F_{ave} \ \Delta t [/itex] ]
My mistake - I didn't read the information provided properly. I thought it gave the length of the barrel, not the time.

courtney101ann said:
What is the speed at time zero?
What is the speed at time 2.5 × 10^-3 s?
What is the acceleration?
What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration?
What is the force?

It seems the OP is inactive.
However,only after answering @Chestermiller's questions,should any help be provided.

I can't answer @Chestermiller's question I only have the information I posted and as for work I don't have any I'm completely clueless we only got half way through the notes when we had an emergency release due to the snow and we haven't returned to school yet and my teacher still wants it done by Monday

I do have my free body diagram and summations

This is the work

Attachments

• 1391312586537.jpg
    1391312586537.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 384
courtney101ann said:
I can't answer @Chestermiller's question I only have the information I posted and as for work I don't have any I'm completely clueless we only got half way through the notes when we had an emergency release due to the snow and we haven't returned to school yet and my teacher still wants it done by Monday
Do you have any idea what the answers to my first two questions are? The answers to these are mentioned right in your problem statement.

Chet

@courtney101ann
Just sitting idle and saying "help me" is not a wise way.You have to think yourself.

P.S if you have completed Gr.8,You should be able to answer all of the Chestermiller's questions.

Last edited:

What is the formula for calculating average net force exerted on a 15-g bullet fired from a rifle?

The formula for calculating average net force is F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

What is the mass of a 15-g bullet?

The mass of a 15-g bullet is 0.015 kilograms.

How do you calculate acceleration for a 15-g bullet fired from a rifle?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity (speed) by the time it takes to change that velocity. In the case of a bullet fired from a rifle, the initial velocity can be measured using a chronograph and the final velocity can be assumed to be zero (since the bullet will stop once it hits its target). The time can also be measured using a high-speed camera. Using these values, acceleration can be calculated as a = (vf - vi) / t.

What is the average net force exerted on a 15-g bullet fired from a rifle with an initial velocity of 400 m/s and a time of 0.01 seconds?

Using the formula F = m x a, we can calculate the average net force to be 6 newtons. This means that the bullet experiences an average net force of 6 newtons as it travels from the rifle to its target in 0.01 seconds.

How does the mass of a bullet affect the average net force exerted on it?

According to the formula F = m x a, the average net force exerted on a bullet is directly proportional to its mass. This means that a heavier bullet will experience a greater average net force compared to a lighter bullet, assuming they both have the same initial velocity and travel for the same amount of time.