1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force applied at an angle to a box?

1. Oct 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A net force of 4N to the right is applied to a box of 6kg while moving it a distance of 3m to the right.
    (1)How much work is done on the box?
    (2)What if the force is applied at a 30 degree angle above horizontal?

2. Relevant equations
    (1) W=Fdcos(angle)
    (2) F=ma
    (3) W=Kf-Ki=((1/2)mv^2)-((1/2)mv^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the first question, to find the work done on the box, I plugged numbers into equation (1).
    W=(4N)(3m)cos(0)
    Cos(0)=1, W=12J

I don't even know where to begin for question (2). It seems to me that, in order to caclulate Force, I need the acceleration to plug into equation 2, or I need velocities to calculate work in equation (3). I have neither, and I can't think of any other applicable equations. I assumed friction was negligable since it was not mentioned.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2009 #2
    why wouldn't plugging numbers in equation 2 work here as well? You already have the force.

4. Oct 29, 2009 #3
    Okay, I feel crazy. I got work and force mixed up and what the questions were asking mixed up. I feel dumb.

So, equation (1) is used for both questions. The force is the same, the distance is the same, the only thing that changes is the angle.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook