Force Applied -- General doubt about pushing 2 blocks on a floor with friction

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of force being applied to two blocks, M1 and M2. It is mentioned that although the force is applied directly on M1, M2 will also experience the force through M1. However, it is argued that this may not always be true as it implies that the net force on M1 will always be zero and there will be an unbalanced force on M2. Friction between the two blocks and between the blocks and the wall is also mentioned and it is stated that in the case of the blocks being pushed against the wall, the force will be equal to F. It is then asked why this applies in one case but not the other, to which it is explained that in the
gracy
WS4c.JPG

Force" F"is applied on M1 .Although force applied is not directly on M2,but it will also experience this force" F" via M1,right?
APPLIED.jpg

But I don't think it is correct.Because it implies that no matter how big the force on M1,the net force on M1 will always remain zero.And there will be unbalanced force "F" on block M2.It is like we are pushing M1 by force "F"but it is in it's place(not moving)instead M2 moves.Note that between M1 and M2 there will be frictional force ,as they are pressing against each other but it will be along the surface of contact and as there is no force to counter in y direction the frictional force will not come into picture.
I am not posting this in homework section because It is not my homework .It's my conceptual doubt.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:
Force" F"is applied on M1 .Although force applied is not directly on M2,but it will also experience this force" F" via M1,right?
As you seem to have realized, this is not the case. The force F is applied to M1. In turn, M1 will apply a different force on M2. That force will be less than F.

Than why in this case

WHY.png

There is friction between the two blocks as well as between the block and wall.

gracy said:
Than why in this case

View attachment 81954
There is friction between the two blocks as well as between the block and wall.
In this case, the blocks are not accelerating.

Doc Al said:
In this case, the blocks are not accelerating
This seems to me the result ,not the reason.

Why https://physicsforums-bernhardtmediall.netdna-ssl.com/data/attachments/65/65001-ae59a43002c3519191eb12aaa6fd31ab.jpg
is applicable in this case
https://physicsforums-bernhardtmediall.netdna-ssl.com/data/attachments/65/65022-752f6be69d8fa34ccdbce044f6fd5318.jpg
but not in
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.phys.ttu.edu%2F%7Erirlc%2FWS4c.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
gracy said:
This seems to me the result ,not the reason.
Not sure what you are looking for. Given the force F applied, you then deduce any other forces using Newton's laws.

gracy said:
Why https://physicsforums-bernhardtmediall.netdna-ssl.com/data/attachments/65/65001-ae59a43002c3519191eb12aaa6fd31ab.jpg
is applicable in this case
https://physicsforums-bernhardtmediall.netdna-ssl.com/data/attachments/65/65022-752f6be69d8fa34ccdbce044f6fd5318.jpg
but not in
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.phys.ttu.edu%2F%7Erirlc%2FWS4c.JPG
What applies in both cases are Newton's laws.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc Al said:
Not sure what you are looking for.
ok.I can point out.
Doc Al said:
That force will be less than F.
but in the case when blocks are pushed against wall
the force will be equal to F.Why?That's what I am looking for.

gracy said:
ok.I can point out.

but in the case when blocks are pushed against wall
the force will be equal to F.Why?That's what I am looking for.
In the first case, the blocks are accelerating. Thus, there must be a net force on each block.

In the second case, when pushed against the wall, the blocks are not accelerating. Thus, there must be no net force on them. (Which implies that the force between the blocks must equal the applied force.)

Likes gracy
Doc Al said:
That force will be less than F.
That means for block M1 there will be less acceleration than M2 ,if F is not much larger than force on M2?

Expanding what Doc Al just said:

in "the accelerating case" (and taking the horizontal axe oriented to the right) you have:

##F = (M_1 + M_2) a##

##F-R = M_1 a##

## R = M_2 a##

R is (the magnitude of) the force the second block exerts on the first block and also it is (the magnitude of) the force the first block exerts on the second block.In the "against the wall case" you have:

##F - N = (M_1 + M_2) a = 0##

## F - R = M_1 a = 0##

## R - N = M_2 a = 0##

N is the "Normal Force" the wall exerts on the second block.

Likes gracy
gracy said:
That means for block M1 there will be less acceleration than M2 ,if F is not much larger than force on M2?

No, look at my previous post.

So,you mean acceleration will be same for both the blocks.

But you did not mention anything about friction in the accelerating case" (and taking the horizontal axe oriented to the right).

gracy said:
But you did not mention anything about friction in the accelerating case" (and taking the horizontal axe oriented to the right).

Do you mean friction between each block and the floor? You can add that force too. Tell me if you want me to write the above equations adding the friction force between each block and the floor.

mattt said:
Tell me if you want me to write the above equations adding the friction force between each block and the floor.
Yes.So nice of you.But I am afraid that I would be not showing any effort if I ask you to write all equations for me.Better,you guide me how to write them then I will write them by myself.

Well, first thing I should have asked you is, what have you already studied?

Do you know Newton laws, applied to one particle and to system of particles?

mattt said:
Do you know Newton laws, applied to one particle and to system of particles?
Yes.As far as I know,I know.

I have to go back to work right now, but if you understood my previous post ( # 11 ) then it won't be that difficult to you to add friction forces between each block and the floor.

The best way (when you are learning) is drawing a picture and drawing in it each and every (vector) force, and then to apply Newton laws, to the whole "block1 + block2", and/or (depending on what you want) to each block singled out.

Try to do it, and tomorrow I'll come back here again to see.

mattt said:
OK.I will try.Thanks again.

mattt said:
I think in post #11 ,you have explained how horizontal forces add up to zero,so there is no horizontal motion .But as we see in real observations there is no motion in vertical direction also.So,here friction comes into picture.It balances forces due to gravity.
f 1(static friction force acting on block M1)=M1 multiplied by g
f 2(static friction force acting on block M2)=f1+ M2 multiplied by g
Right?

gracy said:
But as we see in real observations there is no motion in vertical direction also.So,here friction comes into picture.It balances forces due to gravity.
f 1(static friction force acting on block M1)=M1 multiplied by g
f 2(static friction force acting on block M2)=f1+ M2 multiplied by g
Right?
Looks good to me.

What is force applied?

Force applied refers to the external force that is being exerted on an object, causing it to move or change its state of motion.

How is force applied calculated?

Force applied is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration, as described by Newton's second law of motion (F=ma).

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs when two surfaces are in contact and not moving relative to each other, while kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are moving relative to each other. Static friction is typically greater than kinetic friction.

How does friction affect the force needed to push two blocks on a floor?

Friction acts as a resistive force on an object, making it more difficult to move. In the case of pushing two blocks on a floor with friction, the force needed to overcome the frictional force will be greater than if the blocks were on a frictionless surface.

How can the force needed to push two blocks on a floor be reduced?

The force needed to push two blocks on a floor with friction can be reduced by decreasing the coefficient of friction between the blocks and the floor, or by increasing the applied force. Additionally, using lubricants or reducing the weight of the blocks can also help to reduce the required force.