1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force applied to 2 connected mass.

1. Mar 29, 2014 #1
    Untitled.png

A force is applied to m1 connected to m2 by a "massless" cord. where m2>m1.

the acceleration, a, is a = F/m1+m2

By decomposing the system into A and B where A refers to the tension on m1 upon having the force applied onto m2, the tension TA is to the positive x-direction.

However, in the case of the system B, the tension TB is to the negative x-direction as the force F is applied directly to m2.

Why does TB arises in the block m2 but yet not in m1?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2014 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure I understand this statement. The cord connecting the two masses exerts a tension force on both m1 and m2. The cord exerts the same force on both blocks (different directions, of course).

4. Mar 29, 2014 #3
    I shall rephrase. I was lacking clarity in the OP.

When force F is applied on m2, m1 experiences a tension TA in the positive x-direction. (why shouldn't m1 experience another tension in the negative x-direction. By my understanding, there should be an equal and opposite reaction.

In the case of m2, upon the appliance of the force F, the m2 experience not only the force F in the positive x-direction but also a tension TB in the negative x-direction.

5. Mar 29, 2014 #4

Doc Al

Right. Tension is created in the cord, which acts on both masses.

What would create that tension?

A reaction from what?

And if the mass m1 were connected to a third mass, then it too would experience a tension force acting to the left. But there is no third mass.

(Note that the force F and the tension in the cord are not equal.)

6. Mar 29, 2014 #5

A reaction from m1 having experience a force F applied to m2?

Suppose, as you've suggested that a third mass m3 was attached to m1 to the left. If the same force F were applied, then aside from m2 having experienced the tension TB, m1 would now experience a tension in the negative x-direction, am I right?

7. Mar 29, 2014 #6

Doc Al

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'reaction'. m2 pulls on m1 (via the massless cord) and m1 pulls back on m2.

Sure. The force F will end up creating various tensions in the cords connecting the masses.

8. Mar 29, 2014 #7
    Yes there is a reaction (Newton's 3rd law). What made you believe there isn't one?

9. Mar 29, 2014 #8
    Come on, Doc. he's talking about Newton's 3rd law. quoting from your post " m2 pulls on m1" - That's the action - "and m1 pulls back on m2" - That's the reaction.

10. Mar 29, 2014 #9

I understand there to be one but it isnt outlined by my lecturer.

11. Mar 29, 2014 #10

Doc Al

That's why I used it as an example. But I don't think that's what was meant. (I think he was looking for a second force acting on the trailing block.)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  12. Mar 29, 2014 #11
    That doesn't mean it's not there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook