Force applied to a net after dropping

• Thread starter Toke
  • Start date
Toke

Homework Statement

Q: A boy falls with the acceleration 4g in a free fall until he hits a net. His mass is 78kg. You can ignore other forces. With what force does he influence the net?

Homework Equations

F=m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

I use the formula F=m*a which gives med 78kg*4*(9.82m/s2)=3,1kN. My teacher did though tell me that the answer were 3,9kN, but i can't figure out what formula to use then. What have i missed?

Answers and Replies

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Q: A boy falls with the acceleration 4g in a free fall until he hits a net. His mass is 78kg. You can ignore other forces. With what force does he influence the net?

Homework Equations

F=m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

I use the formula F=m*a which gives med 78kg*4*(9.82m/s2)=3,1kN. My teacher did though tell me that the answer were 3,9kN, but i can't figure out what formula to use then. What have i missed?
The 3100 N is the resultant force exerted on the boy by his weight and the net. The problem is looking for the average force exerted on the net by the boy.

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hello Toke, welcome to PF :)

As formulated in post #1, this is an impossible exercise.
First, it is strange that a free fall can take place with an acceleration 4g, but perhaps this is taking place on another planet.
Second, and more important: nothing is said about the net. Is it a steel grid like they use to reinforce concrete ?
Or is it made up of a lot of nice soft rubber bands ? :nb)

My guess is that the intention of the exercise was something like: a boy makes a free fall until he hits a net.
When he hits the net, his deceleration is 4g. What is the force he exercises on the net ?

If I'm guessing correctly, you can get the desired answer from a free body diagram or from ##\Sigma F = ma##

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The 3100 N is the resultant force exerted on the boy by his weight and the net.
To clarify, that is with the interpretation BvU offers:
a boy makes a free fall until he hits a net.
When he hits the net, his deceleration is 4g. What is the force he exercises on the net ?

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
To clarify, that is with the interpretation BvU offers:
Right, and apparently the way teacher interprets it with the given answer. Not worded well for sure.

Suggested for: Force applied to a net after dropping

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views