Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force between a bar magnet and iron

1. Mar 12, 2013 #1
    I'm an inventor and I have an idea involving magnets. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time trying to interpret magnetic equations. Please forgive me if I sound like a noob.. I'm new to magnetism.

Lets say you have a bar magnet with a field B, oriented perpendicular to a wooden interface with a thickness "d." The north end of the magnet touches the wood. Directly on the other side of the interface is an iron block with a mass, m. For simplicity, lets say this iron block is a dimensionless point in the magnetic field. If the field B magnetically saturates the iron block, what force does the iron block exert on the wooden interface.

I'm asking this question to gain a better understanding of magnetism and how to theoretically quantify magnetic concepts. Please educate me! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The wooden surface exerts enough force on the iron and the magnet to keep them apart ... this would be equal to the force the magnet and the iron have on each other.

Also see:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=354314

4. Mar 13, 2013 #3
    I know. I'm trying to quantify this force though.

5. Mar 13, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook