Force between two charges in closed universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of the force between two charges in a closed spherical universe, where the distance between the charges is r and the radius of the universe is R. It is suggested that the force between the charges would go as 1/r^2 if they are close together, but when they are moved as far apart as possible, the force is believed to be zero. To modify the 1/r^2 force to fit this criteria, a possible solution is suggested to be (2R-r)/2Rr^2, which behaves like 1/r^2 for small r and vanishes when the particles are on the opposite sides of the universe. It is also mentioned that in a symmetrical universe,
Spinnor
Gold Member
Say we have two charges in a closed spherical universe, of radius R, a distance r apart. If the charges are close, r<<R, we might guess that the force would go as 1/r^2?

Let the two charges move away from each other till they are as far apart as possible. At this point the force between charges is zero?

How might we modify the 1/r^2 force to fit the above criteria?

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not know, if I understood your question well, correct me if I got it wrong.

Spinnor said:
Let the two charges move away from each other till they are as far apart as possible. At this point the force between charges is zero?

The force will not ever be zero, because electric field extends to infinity.

Are you inventing a toy universe? Then you can make the force behave any way you want. why not something like (2R-r)/2Rr^2, which behaves like 1/r^2 for small r, and vanishes when the particles are on the opposite sides of the "universe"

Tominator said:
I do not know, if I understood your question well, correct me if I got it wrong.

The force will not ever be zero, because electric field extends to infinity.

Imagine the two charges on the surface of a sphere, S^2, located at each pole. Because of the symmetry the field will go to zero at the poles. I think the same will occur in S^3.

1. What is the formula for calculating the force between two charges in a closed universe?

The formula for calculating the force between two charges in a closed universe is F = kq1q2/r2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

2. Can the force between two charges in a closed universe be repulsive?

Yes, the force between two charges in a closed universe can be repulsive if the charges have the same sign (both positive or both negative).

3. How does the force between two charges in a closed universe change with distance?

The force between two charges in a closed universe decreases as the distance between the charges increases. This relationship is described by the inverse square law, which states that the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges.

4. What is the role of the Coulomb constant in the force between two charges in a closed universe?

The Coulomb constant, represented by the symbol k, is a proportionality constant that relates the force between two charges to their magnitudes and the distance between them. It is an important factor in calculating the force between two charges in a closed universe.

5. Can the force between two charges in a closed universe act at a distance?

Yes, the force between two charges in a closed universe is a non-contact force, which means it can act at a distance. This is because the force is mediated by the electric field, which can travel through space without any physical contact between the charges.