Force Between Two Wires (Magnetism)

In summary, the problem involves calculating the magnetic field at point P, located 12.0 cm from one wire and 5.0 cm from the other, given two long parallel wires carrying 25 A currents in the same direction and separated by 13.0 cm. The Pythagorean theorem can be used to find the distance between the two wires and the magnetic flux density equation can be used to calculate the field at point P for each wire. These values can then be added using vector addition to find the total magnetic field at point P. Alternatively, trigonometry can be used to determine the direction of the fields from each wire.
medgirl

Homework Statement

Two long thin parallel wires 13.0 cm apart carry 25 A currents in the same direction. Determine the magnetic field at point P, 12.0 cm from one wire and 5.0 cm from the other.

(Sorry I don't have a diagram, but this is essentially a triangle, with sides of 13 cm, 12 cm, and 5 cm, and the point P is at the vertex of the 5 cm and 12 cm sides.

Homework Equations

B= [uI]/[2pi (d)]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I see that the triangle is a 5-12-13 triangle and thus the Pythagorean theorem applies. I am not sure how this impacts the solution. I obviously need to calculate B for each wire to point P, but once I obtain these values I do not now how to proceed to combine them together to find the total field at P. Simply adding them does not seem correct.

I would really appreciate some guidance. This is not homework, I am reviewing for an exam (tomorrow!) and am really stuck... Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use vectors for this. The magnetic flux density from a current carrying wire is in the [tex]\hat{\phi}[/tex] direction. Calculate the vector in cartesian coordinates (convert from cylindrical) at the desired point for each of the wires and then add the vectors together. The field vector will be of the form [tex]B\hat{\phi} = B(\alpha_x\hat{x}+\alpha_y\hat{y})[/tex] where the magnitude of the vector [tex]\alpha_x\hat{x}+\alpha_y\hat{y}[/tex] is one.

You can also use trigonometry to find out what the direction of the fields are from each wire if you feel more comfortable doing that but it will probably involve more work.

I can provide a response to this content by breaking down the problem and explaining the steps to solve it. First, let's define some variables to make the problem easier to understand:

I1 = current in the first wire (25 A)
I2 = current in the second wire (25 A)
d1 = distance from first wire to point P (12 cm)
d2 = distance from second wire to point P (5 cm)
d = distance between the two wires (13 cm)
B1 = magnetic field at point P due to the first wire
B2 = magnetic field at point P due to the second wire
B = total magnetic field at point P

Now, using the equation B= [uI]/[2pi (d)], we can calculate the magnetic field at point P due to each wire separately. For the first wire, B1 = [uI1]/[2pi (d1)] = (4pi x 10^-7 Tm/A)(25 A)/[2pi (0.12 m)] = 0.0105 T. Similarly, for the second wire, B2 = [uI2]/[2pi (d2)] = (4pi x 10^-7 Tm/A)(25 A)/[2pi (0.05 m)] = 0.0314 T.

Now, to find the total magnetic field at point P, we can use the principle of superposition. This means that we can simply add the magnetic fields due to each wire together to get the total magnetic field. So, B = B1 + B2 = 0.0105 T + 0.0314 T = 0.0419 T.

In conclusion, the total magnetic field at point P, which is 12 cm from one wire and 5 cm from the other, is 0.0419 T. It is important to note that this is a vector quantity and its direction can be determined using the right hand rule. I hope this explanation helps and good luck on your exam!

1. What is the force between two wires due to magnetism?

The force between two wires due to magnetism is known as the magnetic force. It is the result of the interaction between the magnetic fields produced by the two wires.

2. How is the direction of the force between two wires determined?

The direction of the force between two wires is determined by the right-hand rule. This rule states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current in one wire and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field produced by the other wire, the force will be in the direction that your palm is facing.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the force between two wires?

The magnitude of the force between two wires is affected by the strength of the magnetic fields produced by the wires, the distance between the wires, and the angle between the wires.

4. How does the force between two wires change if the current in one wire is reversed?

If the current in one wire is reversed, the direction of the magnetic field produced by that wire will also be reversed. This will result in a change in the direction of the force between the wires, but the magnitude of the force will remain the same.

5. What is the relationship between the force between two wires and the distance between them?

The force between two wires is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the wires increases, the force between them decreases.