Force directly proportional to negative of displacement?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Amru123
Messages
13
Reaction score
2
I don't seem to understand this formula. How there should a negative sign before the displacement.Can anyone help me out?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you are talking about a spring.

The minus sign tells you that the force is in the opposite direction as compared to the displacement. If you pull one end of the spring to the right, it will act on you with a force to the left trying to restore itself to the unstrained shape.
 
Orodruin said:
I assume you are talking about a spring.

The minus sign tells you that the force is in the opposite direction as compared to the displacement. If you pull one end of the spring to the right, it will act on you with a force to the left trying to restore itself to the unstrained shape.
It was indeed about spring! Thanks a lot!