Force due to gravity inside planet

In summary: This term is incorrect.In summary, neglecting 4pi/3 Gmρ as prefactor, the maximum force due to gravity inside a spherical planet is at r = R/2.
Undoubtedly0
Here is a simple problem in classical gravitation.

Consider a spherical planet of radius R, and let the radial coordinate r originate from the plant's center. If the density of the planet is ρ from 0 ≤ r < R/2 and ρ/3 from R/2 < r < R, then my work tells me that the maximum force due to gravity inside the planet is at r = R/2, not at r = R as one might expect.

[tex]0\leq r\leq R/2,\qquad F_G = \frac{Gm\left(\rho \frac{4}{3}\pi r^3\right)}{r^2} = \frac{4\pi}{3}Gm\rho r \\
R/2 \leq r \leq R,\qquad F_G = \frac{Gm\left[ \rho\frac{4\pi}{3}\left(\frac{R}{2} \right)^3 + \frac{\rho}{3}\frac{4\pi}{3} \left( r^3 - \left(\frac{R}{2} \right)^3 \right) \right]}{r^2} = \frac{4\pi}{3}\frac{Gm\rho}{r^2}\left[ \left(\frac{R}{2} \right)^3 + \frac{1}{3}r^3 - \frac{1}{3}\left(\frac{R}{2} \right)^3 \right][/tex]

My work is above. Is this be correct, that the maximum force due to gravity would be at r = R/2? Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Neglecting 4pi/3 Gmρ as prefactor:

In the inner part: ##F \propto r##
In the outer part: ##F \propto (\frac{R}{2})^3/r^2 + 1/3 (r-\frac{R}{2}) = \frac{1}{r^2} ((\frac{R}{2})^3+\frac{1}{3}r^3-\frac{1}{3}(\frac{R}{2})r^2)##

I get a different third term for the force.

##\frac{dF}{dr}=-\frac{R^3}{4r^3} + \frac{1}{3}## which is 0 at ##4r^3=3R^3##, it has a minimum in the less dense region.

F(R/2) > F(R), so I can confirm your result.

Thanks mfb. Regarding our difference, I think your third term might be mistaken. If we hollow out the planet from 0 ≤ r < R/2, then the force due to gravity in the domain R/2 ≤ r ≤ R is

[tex] F_G = \frac{Gm\frac{\rho}{3}}{r^2}\left[ \frac{4\pi}{3}r^3 - \frac{4\pi}{3}\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^3\right] [/tex]

By the shell theorem, it as if all the volume enclosed is contained in a point at the center. Do you agree?

I can confirm that your work is correct. The maximum force due to gravity inside a planet with a varying density is indeed at r = R/2, not at r = R as one might expect. This is due to the fact that the density of the planet decreases as you move towards the center, resulting in a decrease in the force of gravity. This can be seen in your calculations where the force of gravity at r = R/2 is greater than the force at r = R. This is a fundamental principle in classical gravitation and is important in understanding the dynamics of planets and other celestial bodies. Thank you for sharing your work and for your interest in science.

What is the force due to gravity inside a planet?

The force due to gravity inside a planet is the gravitational pull that the planet's mass exerts on objects within its surface. This force is responsible for keeping objects on the planet's surface and determining the weight of objects on the planet.

How is the force due to gravity inside a planet calculated?

The force due to gravity inside a planet is calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force of gravity is directly proportional to the product of the masses of two objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Does the force due to gravity inside a planet vary at different points?

Yes, the force due to gravity inside a planet varies at different points. This is because the distance between an object and the planet's center changes as the object moves closer or farther away from the center. The force of gravity is strongest at the planet's center and decreases as you move towards the surface.

How does the force due to gravity inside a planet affect the weight of objects?

The force due to gravity inside a planet is responsible for determining the weight of objects on the planet's surface. The greater the mass of the planet, the greater the force of gravity and the heavier objects will weigh. Additionally, the distance between an object and the planet's center also affects its weight, with objects weighing less at higher altitudes.

Can the force due to gravity inside a planet be zero?

Technically, the force due to gravity inside a planet cannot be zero because there will always be some gravitational pull between any two objects with mass. However, if an object is placed at the exact center of a planet, the forces of gravity from all directions will cancel out, resulting in a net force of zero.