1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force exerted by a charged rod on a point charge

1. Sep 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the electric force exerted on a negative point charge –Q located a distance d away from a line segment of charge, extending from –L/2 to +L/2 along the x-axis. The line segment has a non-uniform charge distribution, lambda(x)=lambda_0*x .

2. Relevant equations
    F= q1q2/4pi(epsilon_0)r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Fy=0

Fx= -Q/4*pi*epsilon_0[the integral from 0 to -L/2 of(lambda_0*x/(d+L/2+x)^2) + the integral from 0 to L/2 of(lambda_0*x/(d+L/2-x)^2)]

Notice the -x in the distance in the second integral. This is just my attempt at the question. I have no clue whether it is right or wrong. I feel the need to express the equation into 2 different integrals because you have to show the distance from the origin. Well at least I think so. Any thoughts would be very helpful!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is charge, -Q, located on the x-axis, or is it located a distance d from the center of the rod on the y-axis?

4. Sep 27, 2011 #3
    -Q located some distance d from the end of the rod in the positive direction ON the x-axis.
    so Fy=0

5. Sep 28, 2011 #4
    hi split the integral in two parts. since the line charge depends on x coordinate, the charge would be negative for x < 0 and positive for x > 0

6. Sep 28, 2011 #5
    That's what I've done but I'm not sure if I did it correctly.

7. Sep 28, 2011 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It appears that you have the rod of length, L, centered at the origin. One end of the rod is at x = L/2. The charge is at distance, d, from L/2 in the positive x-axis, thus it's located at x = (L/2) + d .

There is no need to break up the integral the way you did. The distance from any point at x on the rod to the charge is (L/2) + d - x . Algebra will take care of x being negative.

Also: By switching the limits of integration, like you did in your first integral, you may introduce an unintended change of sign in that integral.

8. Sep 28, 2011 #7
    Thanks a lot, I figured that out about 10 minutes ago but it's nice having it confirmed!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook